PDA

View Full Version : LPS: getting much harder to get good ones?

TimS
05/02/2000, 11:41 PM
I thing health is more important that size. Small may adjust to changes better and I think most of the fun/challenge is growing and raising a creature.

TimS

coralhound
05/02/2000, 11:46 PM
steve,
dont go to town with not naming places
I just think more caution should be excercised when things said could be considered derogatory....
and then if someone asks for an opinion or a description of an experiance... then let it RIP

FWIW
CH

------------------
Please BUY captive bred marine life...
My website: Moon Tide Reefs (http://www.qis.net/~ckkuehn)

Steve Richardson
05/03/2000, 09:55 AM
I was talking with the owner of a LFS yesterday, (Notice I'm not including any NAMES here... ;) ) and he says that it has been VERY hard to get quality LPS corals in over the past few months.

He says they are coming in much smaller than in years past, and in general in sadder shape. In fact he went so far as to say: "...I dont know...I think good LPS specimens might be a thing of the past soon."

I'm inclined to agree, but only based on the the quality of the merchandise I've seen in several local shops.

*shrug*. Whaddyathink?

-S

crump
05/03/2000, 10:46 AM
Steve,

I agree with you as far as what I've seen lately locally, but check out Harbor Aquatics, they have great specimens. The open brain I was talking about in my post about ca I got from there, it was about 9" by 5" when I got it, just huge, and only $35. They always have great specimens, if you don't mind mail order. I don't know why, but it seems that local fish stores in general just get sub-par picks, maybe all the good ones go to places like harbor, I'm not sure. On that note I think Lps propigation is the key to continuing the advance of our hobby in that area.

cjdevito
05/03/2000, 12:49 PM
Depends on the species you're talking about. Caulastrea, brains, plates and most others are coming in as well as ever. Euphyllia and elegance, those are different stories.... but even that's not new. Quality on those has been down for two, maybe three years now.