PDA

View Full Version : are caleupra and sargasm toxic

beach
02/27/2003, 10:21 PM
have all my systems plumbed with refugiums that are full of caleupra and sargasm.are these macralgae and plants toxic to corals?reading anthony calfo's book he feels these slo down coral growth especially in prop systems.any other opinions.my prop tank has a small refug.full of pods that i thought were supposed to produce food for corals.thanks beach

scubadude
03/06/2003, 12:02 PM
I definately feel that calerpa is toxic, especially when it goes sexual (sporulates) and as far as sargassum goes I dont really think its toxic atleast not as bad as calerpa however I do agree that it can hinder growth in a prop tank, I have been told that it may even possibly suck down your calcium levels (havent confirmed this yet though) I highly recommend using macroalgaes in a seperate tank that is plumbed into the main tank for better control but still receiving nutrient export as well as feeding your system with all the critters that associate w/these macro algaes. HTH :)

Chris Lakies
03/06/2003, 12:14 PM
I also think Calpera is toxic. I used to have problems with hair algae in my 55 gallon but then I introduced grape Calpera in the main tank because I didn't have a refugium at the time. My hair algae was gone but my corals aren't growing like they should. That's why when I set my 120 gallon tank up there will be NO Calpera in the main tank!