PDA

View Full Version : new prop tank-what kind of lighting

beach
02/27/2003, 10:09 PM
stumbled on to a 8'x2'x1' acrylic tank.it was in lfs but never setup.this has been the prop tray i have been looking for!need some opinions on what lighting would be the best .I have a 150g prop with 400w mh but this long narrow tray i am not sure if i should use mh pendants or vho .i prop a little of everything but was going to use this for softies.would a series of 175 mh work(i was thinking 3 pendants) or just stick to vho.thanks beach

H20ENG
02/28/2003, 01:01 AM
With softies, you will probably get more bang for buck with VHO. The light will be spread out better over the tank than the pinpoint source of a halide. the same wattage spread over the large area would maximize the watts to growth IMO. Also, If the lamps are right over a 1' deep tank, they'll be super bright!
Chris

Scyphozoan
03/01/2003, 09:40 PM
I think VHO would be the way to go.Im assuming 1' is the depth.
M/H looks great but their not a must for something of this depth.
IMO save the M/H for the show tank.

beach
03/02/2003, 11:22 AM
thanks for the responses.vho it is.beach

Palmetto
03/05/2003, 05:24 PM
Anything less than a 1,000 watt halide is a waste of time.

JUST KIDDING!!!

:D

I agree that on a long tank like this VHO is probably best.

beach
03/05/2003, 09:41 PM
darren do you have any reddish ricordia yet.i emailed you a mo.ago and you said then to check back.by the way what is your secret to posting such good pics.i lose all my detail when posting.thanks beach

Palmetto
03/06/2003, 12:09 AM
Ah, hello, again!

I will drop you an email about the other stuff...

The pics I just post on our website and then link to them using the IMG thingy. I compress them an awful lot, the originals are MUCH higher quality than what I post.

With the 4MP camera, it takes like 2500 x something res pictures. I resize them to 500 pixels high, convert them to compressed JPG files and post them on our website.

johnrags1234
03/08/2003, 12:38 AM
beach what ohio LFS? Im in ohio and go to aquatic technolodgy.

TIA
J

beach
03/08/2003, 09:34 PM
johnrags.it is a store in tiffin and fostoria ,champion pool and pets.they don't have a very good marine dept.(owner is still learning) but he is a nice guy.he is always trading in tanks.he had this tank in the basement and i was in the process of building the same tank(blind hog finds the acorn).don't have it set up yet but it is getting close.using a cattle waterer for a tank right now but running out of room.beach

kruxy
03/15/2003, 09:30 PM
run 6 foot vho and then put a 250 watt mh at the end in the space where the vho doesnt stretch. then you have the option of prop'ing sps and growing out clams if you so desire in the future. a ballast and 250w socket is pretty cheap. also, any softies that like a little bit more light can be moved toward the mh end to benefit a little bit from the extra lumens.

johnjr
03/24/2003, 06:08 PM
Four 400w radium 20000k all the way.
You may decide to do sps one day. Why waste the money. Do it right from the start.