PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen these ViaAqua Multi-Skimmers?

kennerd
02/27/2003, 11:45 AM
Not in the market at all, but are these the newest varioation f the Skilter?Ebay auction for Via Aqua Mutli Skimmer (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2310349248&category=20758)

I know a lot of us are using Hang-ons, so is this thing worth the plastic it's made of, or does it screech like the skilter?

Sarnack
02/27/2003, 07:17 PM
They gave one away at our last months local meeting and here is the report on it so far:

here's some info on the skimmer that was won at the last meeting. My good bud Robert tells me he's had it set up for nearly 2 weeks and that it is very efficient. He set it up in about 10 minutes. It puts out a little bit of a hum as far as noise goes but you have to be right next to it to even hear it.

Ty_05_F
02/27/2003, 07:23 PM
wow looks impressive. I wish there was more information on it though.

AttackDonut
02/28/2003, 05:12 PM
But not for ~90 bucks...sorry.

Generally I distrust the "all in one" solutions, I find they don't do any one thing well, and everything poorly, but I cannot say that with 100% correctness.

kennerd
03/01/2003, 08:50 AM
I'd agree with that, AttackDonut. Listing says you can even put a drop-in UV in there. hmm.

Goliath
03/11/2003, 08:12 PM
Guys,

This is my first post on this Board so I would first like to say hello. I am a reqular at www.nano-reef.com and thought I would broaden my horizons with this very active message board.

Anyway, I purchased the ViaAqua Multi-Skimmer from my LFS after watching how they work at the store. All the Reef display tanks in the store are running off of these filters/skimmers. This caught my attention because it was a filter/skimmer/UV sterelizer if needed and it is all packaged in a nice HOB package.

I have had the Multi-Skimmer running in my 18 gallon Nano for about 2 weeks now and I have had nothing but great service from this little guy. The skimmer does its job quite well and with minimal noise. I have this tank setup in my cube at work where a noisy skimmer is a big issue.

For $100 dollars this is a very good deal, it is still in the early stages so I will keep you all posted on how well it works.

Jeremy

AZDesertRat
03/11/2003, 10:48 PM
Did you buy it from TAT Tropical Illusion in Thousand Oaks or Ventura? I saw them there when I visited CA but ran out of money after buying the ViaAqua tank, EboJager heater and Minijet pump between the two stores.

Goliath
03/11/2003, 11:26 PM
Thats so great, that exactly where I got my Skimmer/filter from. What did you think of the Store, the only complaint I have is the prices but what can you expect. Its a LFS.

Jeremy

AZDesertRat
03/17/2003, 08:09 PM
I was very impressed with both of their stores. Unfortunately when I got my 15G ViaAqua tank home it was cracked! Yiuhung, the manager of the Ventura store was very helpful being the middleman between myself and Commodity Axis in getting my tank replaced. My only problem with the exchange was they forgot to send the light fixture and powerhead back with the new tank! I would definitely recommend their stores to anyone visiting the Ventura County area. Actually compared to Phoenix I thought their prices were very good! Thats why I ran out of money. Ireally wanted to bring some live rock and a few small corals home. I'm glad I didn't now since they would still be living in the little 10G I'm curing my other rock and 30lbs of sand in until I get the new setup done with lights and all.
By the way how is the Multiskimmer working? Would you recommend it for a 37 gallon? I have a TetraTec PF300 that is the biggest POS I have ever bought. The thing is LOUD, salt creeps everywhere and replacement filters are eating me up. I liked the idea of putting the heater in the hang on but I hate this one.

AZDesertRat
03/19/2003, 08:51 PM
Karen, did you get it here in the Valley or mailorder? I haven't seen any here in town. I understand they have several versions, I assume yours is the HOB filter/skimmer version. They also have it with UV and another with an ozone system I understand. Commodity Axis doesn't even advertise it on their website yet although I have seen it in FAMA magazine the past 3 months or so. I am seriously thinking about shelling out for one if the price was right.

AZDesertRat
03/19/2003, 09:14 PM
You say you use your own medium. Does it have replacable cartridges that cut into your $$$ over time or is it something that can be rinsed and reused? Thats what I hated about my Skilter until I discovered that the Whisper Triad sponge filter fit into its frame perfectly after a little trimming. Is there room for bags of carbon or other medium?

AZDesertRat
03/19/2003, 11:02 PM
The height or depth of the filter is not a concern as both my ViaAqua and 20H are around 18" deep. I just don't want to get stuck with a filter that requires proprietary cartridges or biobags like a Whisper or Skilter. My Aquaclears are simple, you just rinse the sponge and put it back in, nothing to replace.
Is there room for a small 50W Visitherm heater inside the filter box? Thats the only good thing I have to say about the TetraTec I want to get rid of is you are able to get the heater out of the tank.

AZDesertRat
03/19/2003, 11:47 PM
I'm scoping the one on e-bay out. There were a few a couple weeks ago that did not get any bids so maybe this one will stay low enough to buy. $79 + shipping is better than $100+/- and tax. Sure wish someone local would sell drygoods for a reasonable markup.