PDA

View Full Version : New Custom Sump/Water Change Idea

minfinger
02/26/2003, 06:22 PM
The Pictures below show a Sump / Water Change box that holds appr. 25G of water. It contains a pump in the bottom to feed water back to the main Refugium and an 1" Overflow incase the pump fails. The Return pump in my tank would fill this box with a 3/4" or greater feed.

The idea is to be able to remove Water from the tank without turning off the pumps. This system in theory will allow slow introduction of top off water and new Salt water into the system. This design is copyrighted, but you're welcome to use it as long as I get credit :D

Luke, you better read this!

Any input from anyone is welcome! :D:D:D

http://host36.ipowerweb.com/~myyamaha/CR/Images/Custom%20Sump/Sump%20V2-1.jpg

http://host36.ipowerweb.com/~myyamaha/CR/Images/Custom%20Sump/Sump%20V2-2.jpg

Simbo18
02/26/2003, 08:43 PM
AWESOME!!!!! Ok, that's all I have to say......

Just joking, :D Ok, I don't see where this thing will drain water.... Amd where is the water being pumped into the box comeing from. Well that's about all the questions I have about the box, looks really good! But how do you get something copyrighted? And I don't see the little copyright symbol....... =) Guess you don't need it huh.

Oh, I just found another question, what is that white border thing near the bottom of the water change box? It's right above the pump.

Looks awesome, I'll have to do that for my 420 gal..... I just made the tank 50" wide and it comes out to be 420.7 gal.s LOL. Gotta love them wide tanks. And on the water change box I'll write in BIG letters "Mike's Idea". Sound good. =) Well gotta go study about greeks now.... :o Who needs to know about them anyway. Beats me.

minfinger
02/26/2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Simbo18
Just joking, :D Ok, I don't see where this thing will drain water.... Amd where is the water being pumped into the box comeing from. Well that's about all the questions I have about the box, looks really good! But how do you get something copyrighted? And I don't see the little copyright symbol....... =) Guess you don't need it huh.
Ok come on man. I knew I was going to have to put a "Use Your Imagination" Sticker on the side of the Water Change box! Just assume there's a PVC pipe coming down below the 4" line in the box from the Return pump. To drain, I'd just have a bulk head to a shut off valve on the front of it above the 4" mark. Then I'd hook up a hose, run it out the front door and Drain it down to just above 4". The RO unit will automatically cut on and fill it back up :-) I'll also have a cut off on the line from the return so that while draining, it's not still trying to fill. I'd then be emptying more than 20 Gallons.

Oh, I just found another question, what is that white border thing near the bottom of the water change box? It's right above the pump.
The white border is a 4" water mark and also where some of the ceiling light stuff will sit. I might put some LR down in there just to increase the filtration.