PDA

View Full Version : Got a free tank!! (pics & questions)

NOLACLS
02/26/2003, 01:24 PM
Ok so its not all that great but hell it was free!! At my LFS, who I know the people real well, they used to have this 7 gal tank on the counter. Well I asked where it went to and they told me it was in the back and I could have it if I wanted:D So now I think I will dive into the realm of nano tanks. I have a 110 reef and a 95 FO right now so I think this will be a cool thing to try.

So I am thinking I will just put some LS & LR in and use the red sea skimmer...I think its called a prism skimmer (right?) and 1 or 2 small PH for circulation. Now for the lighting...I am not sure what I want to do as of now so I would like some input. I would love to use MH but I don't think I will want to spend that much now...what if any would fit on this size tank, and where can I see some prices. I will probably end up using the CSL ABS hood with 2 24 or 32 watt bulbs (I have seen both #'s but I don't know which is correct). I think it will fit just right on the tank but I might have to raise it a tad to clear the skimmer. Does anyone have this setup on a 7gal mini bow?? Any other input on lighting would be great!! I am wanting to keep mostly softies, LPS, and some zoos, but I would like to try a sqamosa clam and maybe some minor SPS if possible. Also would the 2 PC at 24 or 32w be enough light for any kind of anemone for a false perk to host in???

Thanks everyone for the input :D

Ok now for the pic. I will be putting it in my office at work but if it were to go where it is in the pic...would it be to close to the stove??

NOLACLS
02/26/2003, 01:25 PM
With out flash ;)

NOLACLS
02/26/2003, 01:26 PM
With a tape mesure showing how close it is to the stove...wouldthat be to close??

quantim0
02/26/2003, 01:58 PM
hey, i got one of those for free too! still haven't decided what to do with it. either nano-reef or red-eyed-tree frog terraruim. decisions decisions.

epon
02/26/2003, 02:06 PM
Do you ever want to use the stove? If not looks good, But IMO wont be good spot. Too many variables. Id find a spot away from a source of heat .

NOLACLS
02/26/2003, 02:15 PM
Ohh red-eyes huh...hmmm that would be had to deside....but I think the nano is going to be more fun for me at work!

Yeah I didnt really plan on putting it next to the stove. It's really going to my office at work but I took the tank home to clean it up. I put it right there to just see how it fit and it fit so good (other than the stove) I was wondering if it might work there. Ok to work it will go :D

Ok so lights...any input??:D

Pomacanthus1
02/26/2003, 11:40 PM
Unless you plan on a SPS dominated tank, i would recommend a CSL 32w Smartlamp retrofit kit. The bulb in this kit has a very pleasing color, and the softies and LPS in my 12g are doing very good under this lighting.

Just curious, does your office turn off the heat/AC during weekends or alter the environmental controls in some other way? This could be a big problem if they do.:(

NOLACLS
02/27/2003, 10:19 AM
I am not wanting a SPS dominate tank but I would really love to try a sqamosa and derasa and some SPS if possible. I have seen that 32w retroed into the hood and it is very tempting but I really am not to jazzed about the blue on the 50/50 bulbs. I mean I would like to get a bulb that has the real 03 and the CSL is not as far as I know. Does anyone know if there is a 32w retro that will fit that has the real 03. I really like the look of both the retro in the AG hood and the ABS hood from CSL with 2 bulbs but no real 03 that way and all the real 03 bulbs that I have seen so far are 36w and are to long to fit. Can anyone help??

Hmmm I might just have to brake down and just deal with no real 03.:(

Ohh yeah and I work for my mom :D so I control the heater and A/C!! My other 2 tanks are here at work as well!!

DragonFish
02/27/2003, 11:39 AM
Don't worry :) I have the new hellolights 50/50 with true actinic and I love it! I'll try to get you some pictures if you'd like. The color is perfect! Does anyone know if one of those 96watt quad bulbs would fit in a 7?

NOLACLS
02/27/2003, 11:53 AM
Yes if you would get me some pics!!! Is it a 32w retro that fits in the 7 light strip?? I am trying to see what my options are :D I think the 96w quad bulb is a little long....like the 36waters. I believe with the endcaps its like 18.5" so it would hang over a tad on each side.