PDA

View Full Version : Journal Articles

Derek Skillings
02/25/2003, 08:12 PM
Eric Borneman directed to me to you.

I am looking for articles and/or abstracts on the relationship between algal (caulerpa) toxins and Cnidaria.

He said he borrowed some to you, and was wondering if you had copies or at least titles.

Thanks

Anthony Calfo
02/25/2003, 09:34 PM
Cheers, my friend :)

Good to hear from you and a pleasure to help.

My apologies for the brief reply (bogged down with my editor navigating my new book through the bindery process). Please follow up later if need be for more insight/references.

Just a few pieces that I noticed in the biblio list shared by Eric:

(generalized... not all specifically on coral v. caulerpa relations... but you gain an appreciation for the magnitude of noxious properties in Caulerpa over most marine algae)

---Littler, Diane Scullion and Littler, Mark Masterson. 2000. Caribbean Reef Plants. OffShore Graphics Inc, Washington, D.C. pp. 356-380 summary: Caulerpa racemosa overtops and kills reef-building corals.

---Paul, Valerie J., and Fenical, William. 1986. Chemical defense in
tropical green algae, order Caulerpales. Marine Ecology Progress Series 34: 157-169 (wicked noxious properties of Caulerpas)

---Anjaneyulu ASR, Prakash CVS, Raju KVS, Mallavadhani UV. 1992. Isolation of New Aromatic Derivatives from a Marine Algal Species Caulerpa racemosa. J Natural Products 55(4): 496-499.

---Faulkner, DJ. 1988. Marine Natural Products. Natural Products
Reports. 615-616

---Hashimoto Y, Fusetani N, Nozawa K. Screening of the Toxic Algae on Coral Reefs. 569-572.

Best regards,

Anthony

Derek Skillings
02/26/2003, 02:09 AM
Thank you very much

If I can get some faculty support, and (cross my fingers and a lot of wishing) some sort of grant, I am going to try to set up an experiment here at Eastern Washington University. Limited at first, but at least a jump off point.

By the way when is your new book due out, I loved your Coral Prop book.

Anthony Calfo
02/26/2003, 02:32 AM
You are very welcome, my friend.

I wish you the very best in the endeavor! Please don't hesistate to call on me for a shared opinion if you like.

My new book will begin shipping in April. The editor has done a beautiful job :)

Kindly,

Anthony