PDA

View Full Version : Propagate an Anthelia??

Weege
02/25/2003, 06:46 PM
I am very new to propagation. Can anyone tell me how to propagate an Anthelia? As specific as possible would be great.

Thanks..:rollface:

griss
02/26/2003, 12:05 PM
Weege,

There are several ways to propogate Anthelia.

The least labor intensive (but could take some time) is to get some live rock rubble from your LFS and place it around your Anthelia colony. If your tank parameters are good, the Anthelia will eventually spread to the rock rubble.

Another way is to simply peel the encrusting base of the Anthelia (along with several polyps) off your rock. Then place a small bowl with rock rubble or gravel into a low flow area of your tank. Place your frag into the bowl and cover with a fine mesh netting (such as bridal veil). This will keep the frag from blowing out of the bowl until it attaches to the rock or gravel.

Lastly, you can just snip individual polyps from the colony and use the bowl/netting method above.

HTH,

Griss

Weege
02/26/2003, 12:18 PM
Thanks Griss. I'll try the rubble idea.

Does Anthelia spread very fast? I just got it from IPSF 2 weeks ago. It is growing, and eating pretty well, but hasn't spread.

Thanks...

griss
02/26/2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Weege
Does Anthelia spread very fast? I just got it from IPSF 2 weeks ago. It is growing, and eating pretty well, but hasn't spread.
Mine spreads like a weed. In fact, I now wish I had never introduced it to my tank as it tries to overgrow my SPS. I remove it constantly, but cannot get some of it because it is attached in deep holes in large rocks. It is a never ending battle for me.

Griss

opihi
02/26/2003, 02:37 PM
same here. it grows way too fast. i suggest you carefully plan where you place it in your tank. griss' gravel patch idea is a good one.

keep it far as away from your LR as possible. i too have a hard time removing it from hard to reach areas in my rock work.

hey griss, don't you love the smell that they give off out of the water? ugh.

jeff

griss
02/26/2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by opihi
hey griss, don't you love the smell that they give off out of the water? ugh.
Yeah, Anthelia and Xenia really stick when you take them out of the water. You should smell some of my SPS when I take them out to frag them, they're not the best smelling either.

Here is another good way to get the Anthelia, Xenia or any other soft coral to attach that I discovered by accident several years ago and have had great success with. In my tank I get really dense growing Halimeda because of my Calcium Reactor. I stick soft coral cuttings into the Halimeda until they attach to the macro. Then I break off the Halimeda branch they are attached to and super glue gel the Halimeda to a piece of rock. The glue will hold the Halimeda, but not the coral since the coral is too slimy. Eventually, the coral will attach to the rock.

Griss

opihi
02/26/2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by griss
You should smell some of my SPS when I take them out to frag them, they're not the best smelling either.

sure, just send 'em over. my address is... :D

jeff

griss
02/27/2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by opihi
sure, just send 'em over. my address is... :D

jeff
LOL maybe when the weather is a little warmer. But shipping could be a a bit though coming from St. Louis to SF.

Griss