PDA

View Full Version : red cotton candy algae

basicreefer_conk
02/25/2003, 02:04 AM
cotton candy red hair algae has been plagueing me for 4 months. I've tried varius hermits, emerald crabs, tiny little tangs that will fit in my 5.5 gal. and nothing helps. It actually took over all my caulerapa in my 20 gal. refugium. I've also cut my feeding down to basically nothing, since both tanks are full of "bugs". I'm thinking of a sally lightfoot crab or a tiny rabbitfish to help. Ideas???

salt101
02/25/2003, 02:29 AM
i had a friend with a problem with his tank. it was the water quality he was adding. it had to much iron in it which is a steriod for algae growth. when we moved rocks into a different aquarium it all died. so check your water or use a different water source

basicreefer_conk
02/25/2003, 10:51 AM
that could definately be it. I've used well water on occasion that I've suspected of having lots of iron and watever else leaching off those old pipes. Thanks!

salt101
02/25/2003, 08:53 PM
well if you are using that well water that could be it because he was also using well water. hope it helps. it takes a while for the stuff to disapear once you change water though
take as much out as possibly by had or vac. then that may help speed things up for you.

Agu
02/26/2003, 12:33 AM
Sigh, I wish you the best of luck !! A few friends have had this algae, it's the spawn of the devil, or maybe worse. To my knowledge nothing eats it, it's not a result of your husbandry skills, it just happens. I wish you the best but there's no known cure that I'm aware of.

Good Luck,

Agu