PDA

View Full Version : Not directly macros but related

reeferaddict
02/22/2003, 03:11 PM
Thats O.K right :p

Anyone use the CPR aquafuge's? I have a sumpless 29gl that I'd like to have a fuge for both nutrient export and to increase my fauna and plankton in general. They offer a few models, 18" and 24" are what I'm considering.(24"*4"*12" overal volume max)

First off, if you've used one, did it do much for you and how do you rate the craftsmanship?

Even If you 've never owned one I'd still like to know if you guys think this would be beneficial to my tank as a nutrient export source, I'm worried b/c of the small overall water volume capacity it has. Being gravity fed bak to the tank is a plus, as is the Hang on feature to me on this tank.

Would the $100 be better spent on building a DIY refugium? Or adding a sump with a hang on overflow :(

Finally, if I did add the 24" aquafuge, what macros would you reccomend, I'm thinking spaghetti but what else? And what do think the optimal lighting would be, macros have never survived in my reef either due to overlight, preditation most likely, or some unknown lack of nutrients I have. I really only have minimal green slime and diatoms so I may not have enough nutrients (which I kinda doubt.)

Sorry for the long post-

wizardgus®
02/23/2003, 04:16 PM
Hi,
I haven't had one of the HOT fuges, but I did have a 29g.
I've read a few threads on them that would indicate some good results and some problem with brackets breaking. Try a search in Reef Discussion I think it was.

As for cost, lets see, $20 for a 10g., $85 for a Lifereef overflow, Maybe $25 for a return pump, and say $15 for some various plumbing fittings and you got the real McCoy. I'm sure you must have a retired light fixture around? Not counting the cost of rock rubble and Macros as you'd have to buy that anyway. Anyway, that is what I did initially. One of the best things I did for my reef, IMO.