PDA

View Full Version : zoos on sand

alphaex32
02/21/2003, 04:28 PM
Just wondering, is it ok for zoos to be on the sandbed instead of rock? I put mine on a shelf I made, but something (an urchin I think) keeps plowing them over and knocking half of them onto the sand. Will they still grow and multiply, or should I move them back onto a rock?

holeinone1972
02/21/2003, 04:34 PM
They will still grow, but I believe it will be at a much slower pace.

Rob

alphaex32
02/21/2003, 04:38 PM
is that because they are lower (further from light), or because of the substrate itself? My tank is a 29g, and they were only lowered a few inches (and actually seem to open wider now), so there isnt too much of a light difference.

holeinone1972
02/21/2003, 04:41 PM
Just a guess, but I have had some raw zoo's on the sand and it seemed to take forever to grow. I am guessing it has to do with the substrate. Maybe harder to feel secure on sand? I really don't know. Just letting you know my observations.

Best of luck, Rob

Are the zoo's attached to rock, or are they bare zoo's attached to nothing and just sitting on the sand?

alphaex32
02/21/2003, 04:45 PM
Alright, thanks. The zoos are bare on the sand, and havent stuck yet because they just fell a few hours ago. I have seen many pictures of tanks with huge zoo colonies encrusting the sand, so maybe ill leave them there and see what happens. If they dont grow for a while, ill move them back.
Btw, are you the same Rob from ECC who just emailed me about shipping in NJ? lol

holeinone1972
02/21/2003, 04:50 PM
Yep, I did not know that was you. LOL

Funny meeting you here.

Rob

Nagel
02/23/2003, 02:04 PM
It really depends on the type. I have smaller zoos that wont grow on the sand, they seem to crowd the little rock they are on, and I have sand polyps which have no problem multiplying like mad in the sand. Most sand polyps fall into the protopalythoa genus though. Zoanthus tend to need a hard substrate to continue to multiply.

HTH