PDA

View Full Version : Cold salt water tanks

Jeff Kruse
02/21/2003, 01:44 PM
Do any of you keep animals from Puget Sound?

I would like to hear from you.

I have pictures of my tank at

http://www.seanet.com/~katrinakruse/

Jeff

skylsdale
02/21/2003, 07:35 PM
I've contemplated doing this off and on for around the last year or so(there are various threads if you do a search on here). The most difficult part is the cooling, and I simply cannot afford a chiller. There's the whole DIY "run line through a small fridge or freezer then back to the tank" idea, but I don't have the space or room or spare freezer to try that. IN the basement the coolest I can get the tank is probably mid 60's....which may still be too warm for most organisms.

I'm going to check out your website. May be back with more questions later...

Zack S
02/21/2003, 09:19 PM
hey I saw your site very nice man. By the way you would not have happen to been at the aquarium when they had that private viewing of the puget sound creatures. I talked to someone all about this and maye it was you... I was zack the one who stumped the workers there was that you?:rollface:

Mushroom Boy
02/22/2003, 01:02 PM
Fabulous Jeff!!! I love the grunt sculpin!!!!!!!

Paul.

David_Winther
02/22/2003, 01:25 PM
I have long felt that we have some of the most beautiful sea life in our own backyard! To bad I'm just not able to keep any of it in my tank!

-Dave

SlowBoat
02/22/2003, 04:30 PM
Jeff, would like to stop in some day and see that incredible tank of yours in person.

How much of the time is your chiller running during the summer months?

Jeff Kruse
02/24/2003, 12:41 PM
Hi Zack, No I don't think that was me, unless it was at the Boeing Seahorse Christmas party.

Dave, why cant you keep any local animals? It's a heck of a lot easier than a warm water reef tank.

Slowboat, I live in Duvall. We can work out a time to meet.
Since my chiller is outside and our summer days rarely get above 80degrees, my chiller doesn't have to work to hard. In the heat of the day in the summer it may be on 1/2 the time. But it quickly cools off at night.

Thanks for all the nice words.

Jeff