PDA

View Full Version : zoo transplant questions

AzSnake
02/21/2003, 12:35 AM
I just noticed some nicely colored zoo's that came in as hitch hikers on a Candy Cane Frag. Their are 3 of them and they are pretty small at this time. When they get larger I would like to take them off the candy cane skeleton and transplant them to a zoo island I am growing I’m my tank. Any recommended transplant techniques? I really like the color and would love to try to keep these.

holeinone1972
02/21/2003, 02:29 AM
Your answers can be found in this thread.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150698

Rob

AzSnake
02/21/2003, 11:13 AM
So mine are 3 isolated polyps on the corals skeleton. I can't really use the hammer and chisel method. Each zoo is isolated. Their are 9 heads on the candy cane coral and 3 of the heads have one polyp on their skeleton. Not really sure how the rubble method would work. Can you take something like an exacto and slice the bottom off the coral skeleton? I’m thinking I may be able to pit the skeleton where the polyp is seated and just take a small small amount of the skeleton off.

holeinone1972
02/21/2003, 11:32 AM
I am sorry, I thought the razor method was discussed there. All you need is an exacto knife and scrape
along the skeleton, then transplant to rubble, or rock, and superglue them in place with a superglue gel.

Rob

AzSnake
02/21/2003, 12:07 PM
Ok cool. Just like any other softy frag. I just wanted to make sure their wasn't any no no's about fragging zoo's.

holeinone1972
02/21/2003, 12:20 PM
They do contain a poison called Palytoxin, so be carefull not to rub your eyes or lips with your hands. Make sure you wash them very well, or better yet wear gloves.

Rob