PDA

View Full Version : Down the Drain

Claeth
02/20/2003, 04:18 PM
Dr. Shimek,

After going over your article on toxic metal exports, I am left with a greater knowledge of the chemical makup of my sandbed and of the science of aquaria in general. For this I would like to thank you. I am however in a way vexed with new questions as to finding a better way to remove these metals and other organic materials beyond the realms of skimmers, refugiums w/ caulerpa, xenia, and water changes. My question is simply this... By studying your findings, do you believe that the buildup of these materials (both metal and organic) over long periods of time, will become lethally toxic in a majority or all aquaria even with the standard forms of filtration and maintenance, etc? And if so, what are some other options towards removing these materials (other than skimming, etc..)? Thank you for your time.

Lee Van Hoose
Claeth@hotmail.com
:mixed: :beer:

rshimek
02/22/2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Claeth

Hi Lee,

... By studying your findings, do you believe that the buildup of these materials (both metal and organic) over long periods of time, will become lethally toxic in a majority or all aquaria even with the standard forms of filtration and maintenance, etc?

Yes.

And if so, what are some other options towards removing these materials (other than skimming, etc..)? Thank you for your time.

The other real option is to periodically breakdown and re-establish our systems with new substrata. See my article in the August [rk].

However, this may not be necessary if the appropriate salt is used. Much of the pollution comes in as impurities or additives in the salt mixes. Not all salt mixes are a problem in this regard. See my article in the upcoming (= March) issue of [rk] with regard to testing salts for toxicity to sea urchin embryos.

If we use no polluting salts, then the present export methodology should pretty well allow us to keep ahead of the game.

:D