PDA

View Full Version : Propagating Ployps, especialy zoos, ans mushrooms

aquaria_marine
02/20/2003, 03:57 PM
The subject is pretty much self explanatory, however, I should probably add "how to?" I am relatively new to corals, and would like to know the most efficient way to propagate these corals. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thankyou!

Josh

Zain
02/23/2003, 12:58 PM
well thoughs are all softies, so first you neeed some think sharp,razor blade, extremly sharp sizzors(IMO, sizzors make a faster cut), them you can cut them at the head leaving a small amount of the origanal stem or base on the head, if its a shroom then you can also divide the head like a pizza. next you take the cutting, take the rock you wana atach it to and put the cutting on it ( better done out of the water) then take some netting and put it on top of the cutting and take a rubber band to tie it down, and the put back it your aquarium till it grows it base( which would be in a few days after you cut your coral) and you can take off the netting till it gets bigger and propagate it again, and thats pretty much it, with polyps i would wait tile the polyp looks like its going to split and cut off that branch.:D

RicksReefs
02/23/2003, 02:33 PM
www.fishdomain.com/GARF/Articles.html

bookfish
02/24/2003, 01:08 PM
I didn't think you could propagate zoos like that.
-Jim A.

RicksReefs
02/24/2003, 06:15 PM
i've never heard of cutting the head off of zoo's,
shrooms and such yes.for zoo's,i use a fresh razor
blade,cut between the polyps,peel off if possible,
if not, i frag (snips/chisel) the new cutting,place on
a dry paper towel(to get semi dry),pat dry attachment
site on new frag rock,use super glue gel to attach,
place in bowl of tank water to set,wait a few minutes,
place back in tank.be sure to throw out bowl of water
& thoroughly wash your hands to remove palytoxin.
JMO/HTH