PDA

View Full Version : Mantis anyone?

ijji
02/18/2003, 03:50 PM
I discovered a 2.5/3" mantis shrimp in my tank last night. I coaxed him out with some food and hope to trap him soon. I remember one of the members kept this species. Does anyone remember who they were, or is anyone interested in this shrimp?

shaunmcm
02/18/2003, 06:05 PM
i know someone who works at salt water city kept one for a while. cant remember his name though. he's the skinny early 20's dj (during the day) guy. also, aquarium concepts has ordered them for customers. they might be able to provide you with a lead.

Mushroom Boy
02/18/2003, 09:01 PM
I know who you're speaking of. I'll drop you a line with her contact info...

Paul.

kenthagler
02/18/2003, 10:03 PM
I trapped 3 mantis shrimp and they will get the best of you, be patience.

ijji
02/18/2003, 10:33 PM
I fed him again tonight. It is amazing how far I can get it to come out of it's hole - at least it's body length distance from safety.

It is in a good position for a trap, so I'll condition it with the food for awhile before trying to capture it.

btw - it is a solid orange-ish/pink color, and appears to be the bludgeoning variety. Perhaps pics on the next feeding.

Mushroom Boy
02/19/2003, 08:03 PM
Man, I wish I could take it off your hands for you! I've always wanted a mantis tank. I need to get a small setup at work.

Anyhow, YGM with the contact info...

Paul.

jsronce
02/20/2003, 10:07 PM
Hello,

I'm the one who keeps mantises. (Well, there are probably more around here somewhere, but my apartment was on the tour last year for my mantises.)

If you've still got it, I'd love to have it! We unfortunately lost the peacock mantis in our bedroom last month during a molt, so we've got a 10 gallon tank open. The big peacock in the living room is still going strong and we've added a tiny 3/4" one to a 6 gallon eclipse that we never see, just hear. :)

You can email me at jsronce@yahoo.com or at my new address, jenn@kizandjenn.com.

Jennifer