PDA

View Full Version : Hello Vegas Reefers!

TippyToeX
02/18/2003, 01:33 AM
I am on the move to Vegas! Woohoo. :) It looks like I will be moving in mid April. Just got a home (going to be built) in the Summerland area.
How many members strong are you? I am looking forward to making some meetings and once the tank is up and running being an major active member. Can you tell I am excited about the move? heehee. :p

I haven't had the chance to look at the stores in the area. That will be on my list for the next trip when iI look for a rental. Just wanted to drop in and say hello and begain to see what Vegas reefers are up to.

Take care

Sand Reef
02/19/2003, 02:30 PM
WELCOME to Las Vegas!!!! Glad to have you aboard. Summerlin is a really nice part of town. You will have a couple of fish stores relatively close on your end of town. As far as the number of members, last time I went to a meeting it was a good crowd. I'd say 20. That is not bad considering the first meetings I went to were just me and 2 other people for a long time. Check out www.lvmas.org for more info on local fish stores. Las Vegas is a very convenient town and easy to get used to.
Cheers
V :)

TippyToeX
02/19/2003, 03:29 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome Sand Reef, and for the link. :) I made a copy of the list of stores and on my next tirp to look for a rental (maybe mid March) I will be sure to take a look. The selection sounds wonderful. In my area we have two or three stores but if you want the good stuff, it is (for me at least) a two hour (depending on trafic) drive to the best bay area store.

Sounds like a great sized group and am looking forward to attending in a few months.
Take care & thanks again.

LVMAS
02/21/2003, 01:34 AM
Hello,

There are three aquarium clubs in Las Vegas, 1) Las Vegas Betta Club (http://hometown.aol.com/vegasbettas/myhomepage/index.html)
2) The Las Vegas Reef Club (LVRC) ran by Gary at Aquascapes Ltd (http://lvmas.org/lvaquariasociety/lfs/aquascapesltd.htm)
3) I run the Las Vegas Marine & Reef Aquarium Society (http://lvmas.org)

I try to help the other clubs, hobbyist and even the local businesses. I list all of the clubs and local stores on my site. I include maintenance people in my effort to provide every possible opportunity to save the hobby and the life forms people buy.

When you get here, I hope I can help you also.

I have 14 paid members and 6 corporate memberships however, at last count, I have 50 subscribers of my newsletter. I have had 3 meetings attendance rages from 20-35 people. I haven't turned anyone away for not paying dues.

Nice to meet you,
Howard Hoag

TippyToeX
02/22/2003, 08:05 PM
Thank you Howard :)
It is always a good thing when local clubs are willing to help each other out for the greater good of the hobby. As well as having a friendship so that when speakers are brought in it can be a shared expense and experience.
I have been in this hobby for some years now and one thing I learned early was how reef keepers from all over share bond an almost instant friendship. I learned that lesson 10X's when I attended MACNA.

It was good to hear from you and I hope we will meet soon. Thank you for your kind offer of help, it is greatly appreciated.

Take care

fitzpatrick
02/22/2003, 09:54 PM
A long time aggo I lived in a playce called Newfinland.( NFLD ) its in the atlantic,an island. The trout ran as common as bluegills. Everybody ate moose an lobster like we eat hamburger.one night one of my cousions brough out a plate with what looked like deepfried mushrooms.Turns out ta be cod tungs an tasty to. I could watch the whales from the 2nd floor windows an the great ships to.Those ships came from allover the world an in Great sizes .The whales were just ther.Ther were small fishing boats everyware - a dieing way of life now. The music of the maritimes has its own culture an Language as do these people. A rugged, hardy People whos beuty lies deep within ther Simplicity. Of Irish an scottish backgrounds, with a history of pirates an vikings,Shes a hard land,rugged,rocky clifs that tower Her.Even had a train once,but thay got drunk an dumped her in the bay,off a cliff at that,right ther in currling,passidena.corrnerbrok. My hart is so, Heavy at times.Allmost as a great emptyness moved inside me.A Great hallow Emptyness that is allmost pain. It took a bit of a time to see beuty out here in this Desert, wen the cactus blossom,The shapes of the hills.I love ta shoot,an work.Life is good these days. WELCOME

noni
03/10/2003, 10:40 PM
Welcome to our reef clup Tippy Toex. We hope you enjoy the other sites LV has to offer. Gambling is not all there is here. There is a lot of natural beauty also. If you are into that sort of thing.

fitzpatrick
03/11/2003, 05:56 AM
But ther just ant no Water.

TippyToeX
03/11/2003, 09:49 PM
Fitzpatrick-
I am so sorry for the timing with this response! :( I have subscribed to this thread but was not notified when you answered to it. Ahh Newfinland! How majectic you make it sound.:)
I will say that Las Vegas has a lack of stunning visual beauty (for a new comer). I'm spoiled and am from the wine country and not more then 30 minutes for the ocean.
My mind and heart iare open though. I am sure it will not take long to find the beauty and splendor in the desert.
Anyway San Diego is not that long of a drive away. If I have a need for the ocean then I will take a weekend and go to it.

Noni-
Thank you for the welcome. :) I am going to make an earnest effort to find the beauty Las Vegas has to offer as I am into that sort of thing. It was suggested to me to go hiking at Red Rock park, does anyone know of it? Of course there is Lake Mead, i am looking forward to that.

Thank you all!

noni
03/11/2003, 11:23 PM
Hey Tippy Toex,
I have lived in this area for 26 years and know a lot of the coolest places. Since your into nature, I can draw you maps of places so cool you never get tired of visiting.

fitzpatrick
03/12/2003, 06:39 AM
Depending on ware Im working in the city,this last month or so Ive been going thrugh Red Rock. Ive seen Horses,Burros,an Big horn sheep.The sheep I seen on the Pass.If your into Shooting I can plug you in.Gulfing,thers million playces.Angle park is close to Summerlin.Sking Utah, the snows going. Thers a little snake about 2 foot long.Hes a greenish color.Stay away from him He will make you Veary sick.Ther bold too,I captured one last year. When You get your tanks set up,Ponies an all Id love to see it. Noni has The set up.In fact His stuff will blow your mind. Thers a few of us who can Guid you to the Right Stores.

fitzpatrick
03/12/2003, 06:42 AM
The proper spelling is NewFoundLand.I just spell my own way kinda like how it sounds Gezz Imangine Me corecting Someones spelling:)

TippyToeX
03/12/2003, 01:55 PM
Noni-
That is a very generous offer. :) I will take you up on it once I am settled. I love taking my dog around with me so if you can think of pet friendly places to roam around in I would be indebted to you.

Fitz-
My spelling is just awful at times and I need all the help I can get correcting it. :p Thank you for the above information. I am sure if I see any snake I will freeze, scream and run for it. Heehee.

Take care all. I will be in Vegas this coming weekend to find a rental. I will be sure to hit a LFS or two if I have the free time.

Amy