PDA

View Full Version : My Cuke is now Crabless!!

JAR
02/18/2003, 12:08 AM
I bought a black Cuke during our meeting at Paragon and it had a crab on it that was black with white dots. Mike said it was some symbioticalmasonicbuddistbreastmilk relationship. Anyway, the crab's dead. Does anyone know if it will affect the Cuke?

minh_han
02/18/2003, 12:27 AM
Jeff,

I remember you buying that cuke! I like the crab more than the cuke too. REally pretty with white spots. I wonder how it died. If it was such a symbiotic relationship, then what the heck was the cuke doing for the crab?! Maybe you could talk to Mike at Paragon. He might have an extra crab. If you recall, there were actually two crabs on that one cuke. He took one off and added it to the other cuke. And, I thought that if cukes died, they released some sort of toxin that ends up poisoning many of the tank inhabitants. Any comments on that?

JAR
02/18/2003, 09:31 AM
Mihn,

Hey, you're right, Mike did take another crab or two off that thing. Good call. I'll have to talk to him. Cukes will release a toxin if they die. That's why I'm a little worried. Actually, more like terrified! Just what I need. A $3500 swamp:(

Bruce
02/18/2003, 11:17 AM
Jeff,

I don't know the details of this relationship, but it is probably not an obligate relationship, i.e., if one dies, so does the other. Chances are the the cuke was getting only some defense and cleaning from the crab.

I had a cuke slowly starve to death in a 10 gallon tank. It is a long drawn-out process. When the cuke dropped his guts, the only thing affected was a torch coral head that the guts landed on. I'm not suggesting that you take the situation lightly, but you should be watchfull for changes in the cuke. Asking Mike for his experience with these, is what I would do.

Bruce

minh_han
02/18/2003, 12:34 PM
All I can say is that you are not allowed to make a swamp from your tank at least until after you get me your frags. That way, if anything does happen, I can grow the corals out and give you some frags back to get you started again. :) I do think that calling Mike at Paragon would be the best idea. And Bruce is probably right about the commensalism (as opposed to symbiosis).

JAR
02/18/2003, 01:46 PM
Thanks for your concern Mihn:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D And I hope you're right Bruce. Unfortunatelly, Paragon is closed today. I guess another day of waiting will be okay.

Mickey
02/21/2003, 09:53 PM
Jeff:

One more point on cukes. There are some that I thought weren't toxic at all. I think they were the Holothuria family or something like that(I am sure Bruce can correct me). They are the sand mopping cukes.

I had a small one from Paragon that died in my tank, actually it was killed by a small crab I think. I found it dead one morning against the front glass and it had several sizeable holes in its body. No evidence of any adverse affect in my tank at all.

Mickey

peege
02/22/2003, 10:34 AM
Generally the more ornately colored the cuke the more potent they are. I also don't believe they automatically release any toxins when they just up and die and instead do it to rid themselves of something that's harassing them.

The poop looking ones I wouldn't worry about except in the smallest of tanks.

JAR
02/22/2003, 10:07 PM
Hey all,

I called Mike at Paragon and he said not to worry about it. The crabs are basically "freeloaders". What a relief!!

So I guess the poop in my tank doesn't stink:D :D (that was for you peege)