PDA

View Full Version : Received sps corals and a clam from Dr. Mac, Awesome

slojmn
02/10/2001, 07:25 PM
I just wanted to share my joy at receiving a beautiful shipment of sps corals and a maxima clam from Dr. Mac and Sons. What a nice bunch a frags. Some of them were huge. They all made the trip well. I was so pleased with each and every one of them. I will be posting some pictures in the next few days on my website of the little guys. I just want everyone to know how great it was to deal with Dr. Mac and how easy the process was. I can't wait till I get some more money saved up and can get some more :D :D :D.

Northern Reef
02/10/2001, 09:54 PM
Have you seen this thread?
http://www.aqualink-too.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/007920.html

This is the first negative comment I've heard about Dr. Mac's corals. Most people seem to be ecstatic about their order. Mac, any comments?

Long Island Andy
02/10/2001, 10:12 PM
Larry
It sounds like maybe he had some other problems with or without Dr Mac FWIW

Andy

Northern Reef
02/10/2001, 10:20 PM
Yeah, obviously he had some other problems, but this is the part I was interested in:

2. Ordered a coral package from Dr. Mac. Very nice corals, problem is, one of the freebies came with a bit to RTN that I didn't notice until the next morning. Soon every sps I had save a montipora and hydnophora had RTN and perished.

Ironreef
02/10/2001, 10:34 PM
I didn't know rtn could spread if you had a frag in for one day and took it out? Never heard of that. I would belive the cyano or something else had something to do with it? sps don't like any alga probs.

[Edited by Ironreef on 02-10-2001 at 09:45 PM]

Dr. Mac
02/10/2001, 10:51 PM
The story of "RTN" is totally news to me. I always ask everyone that buys corals from me to call or e-mail me to tell me how the order arrived. I also always send by mail a written evaluation form a few days later to be fill out and returned by mail or faxed to me. I never received a word from anyone about "RTN" wiping out their tank. If I had been informed I would have advised that the suspect piece either be isolated or destroyed. I also recommend that any coral, whether captive or wild, be dipped prior to putting in your tank as standard operating procedure. Any suspect piece should be isolated or destroyed rather than jeopardizing your entire collection. Had I been notified, I might have been able to help, or diagnose whether in fact this was "RTN" or just glue on the base of the coral as that can be confused sometimes for tissue damage, or possibly just a spot that was damaged during shipping. I don't know because I was never contacted! I do not have and have never had RTN in my systems! I am very troubled when folks post negative comments on BBs when they never contact the vendor to allow them to comment, correct, or advise on a serious problem. I am just amazed that if one of my corals had been really responsible for wiping out a tank that I had never been contacted. I take great pains to supply excellent corals and I give every possible chance to get feedback, both negative and positive. I have had very few complaints and I have replaced corals that have gotten damaged in transit or ones that folks just were not completely satisfied with for whatever reason, I have even replaced a coral that died 2 weeks after arrival! The problems have been very rare and dealt with immediately when I have been notified! This story is troubling to me and I only wish I had been notified so it could have been diagnosed and prevented, a simple e-mail or phone call would have worked! I take a great deal of time and effort to supply excellent corals at a fair price and this is just a side-line operation--a family project that we all love and all take great efforts to do a good job. The most rewarding aspect is when we hear positive comments as we feel we have helped share our joy and love for the hobby. The rare problem or negative comment has been dealt with professionally and we hope to the satisfaction of all, we only ask for the opportunity to respond and correct any real or perceived deficiencies.

Northern Reef
02/10/2001, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the response, Mac. I also don't know if it is possible to spread RTN to the rest of the tank in just one night. It seems you go the extra mile to make sure your customers are happy, so IMO you deserve the benefit of the doubt. I don't ever remember seeing a negative comment on your corals, or your service.
But the purpose of these boards is to discuss issues of concern to all of us, good or bad. For the good guys like you the end result should be to your benefit. :)

It does raise the point, though, of being careful to fully examine anything being added to our tanks.....particularly these days with all the frag trading going on.

slojmn
02/10/2001, 11:24 PM
I wouldn't even know what RTN looked like at this point in my virgin sps experiance. All I know is Dr. Mac was extremely helpful, responded to my calls and e-mails promptly and was straight up about everything. A really nice person to do buisness with. I am very happy with each and every one of my corals. BTW Mac the hydnophora does look like one of those in the other pictures. Again Thank you so much for making this weekend very cool and fun. My reef is happy to have some new friends in it. :D

RWD
02/11/2001, 12:25 AM
Hi All,
I just received my order from Dr Mac yesterday and so far so good. All of the corals have opened in the last 24 hours. I ordered the 7 coral special and actually got 2 extras to help out with the shipping. The corals came triple bagged in a styro insulated box with 4 heat packs (that were still warm). The frags were mounted on good sized pieces of rock and suffered no damage. The size of the frags are very large and in excellent shape.
All in all it was a pleasure dealing with Dr. Mac and would recommend his corals to anyone. This was my first MO for corals and I'm very pleased with the outcome. Bob

smiller
02/11/2001, 07:14 AM
Sounds like he had a problem and was looking for a scapegoat. Maybe he should have looked in the mirror. I don't think I could be convinced that a person could get their tank wiped out and not discuss it with the person they thought responsable for it. Everything I've ever read about Dr. Mac was positive, as was my experience. IMO Dr. Mac is a class act.

cuccumber
02/11/2001, 09:28 AM
With all of the OUTSTANDING replies about Dr. Mac's corals, along with his prompt emails, I CANNOT WAIT to order from him. My wife told me to wait until we got out taxes back, but she's not here today, so I think I'll give him a call.

I think the guy with "RTN" didn't know what he was talking about. My guess is that his tank wasn't ready for SPS, whether it been the lights, water parameters, etc. Maybe he didn't acclimatize them. Who knows, but I doubt that it was because of Dr. Mac.

It is always easier to blame, than it is to admit.

Call you later Dr!

Cuccumber

jackson
02/11/2001, 12:59 PM
I got some corals from Dr. Mac a couple of weeks ago and they looked so great that I got some more this last week. Both times he drove to deliver them to me! My friends have bought corals from many other MO places, mine from Dr. Mac puts them all to shame. Dr. Mac's corals are huge and colorful and all are healthy and doing great, my friends are so jealous. In my opinion, Dr. Mac should be arrested for false advertising---his corals are FAR BETTER THAN HE CLAIMS!!! It's so refreshing to deal with someone that is honest and really knows what they are doing. He has spent hours on the phone with me before I ever bought anything and he gave me great advice that did not benefit him finacially at all. Thanks, Dr. Mac! When I talk my wife into letting me get a bigger tank I'll be getting more corals.

mengerin
02/11/2001, 01:13 PM
Howdy,

I have ordered from Dr. Mac and was *very* impressed with the shipment. I have ordered frags from Steve Tyree and from Dr. Mac and I've set up http://farmedcoral.homestead.com. So far, I've not seen a frag supplier that is superior in quality.

I'd certainly order with confidence again.

Cheers,
Matthew

smokinreefer
02/11/2001, 01:43 PM
mengerin: your link doesnt seem to work for me...

mengerin
04/06/2001, 03:23 PM
The link didn't work for you due to the period at the
end of it.

Try this:

http://farmedcoral.homestead.com/

Staceon
04/06/2001, 03:28 PM
Mengerin,

Call me crazy, but it looks like it just took you two months to reply to a question. Just curious?:)

mengerin
05/31/2001, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Staceon
Mengerin,

Call me crazy, but it looks like it just took you two months to reply to a question. Just curious?:)

Yes, that happens from time to time. I'm slow. :)

Cheers,
Matthew

lalmatia
05/31/2001, 09:57 AM
Can anyone post Dr. Mac's web address?

Thanks.

JRegs
05/31/2001, 10:16 AM
http://www.drmaccorals.com

dnjan
05/31/2001, 12:14 PM
In addition to providing excellent corals, Dr. Mac has been very helpful with follow-up questions. Five months after I purchased a pachyseris from him, I noticed that it was "puffy" in the morning. Quite strange for a coral that had looked like a normal pachyseris for months. I posted the question on this board, and after getting no response whatsoever, I e-mailed Dr. Mac. He replied the next day, and explained that while not common, he had seen this before. No problem with the coral. I think that is outstanding follow-up service!

MtnDewMan
06/01/2001, 12:34 PM
I received a coral shipment a couple of weeks ago from Dr Mac and was more than completely satisified. One piece showed sighs of tissue loss prior to removing from the bag, so I tried to save it prior to putting in my tank. Dr Mac is more than willing to make up for it in a later order if I place one. He has great customer service and response.

Out of the 7 frags I received all are doing well, I placed them in the mid tank the high parts. Some are really coloring up nicely. the frags are great sizes. His blue tip stag is AWESOME ... I love how the tips are coloring up.

Okay okay, so you can tell I am very pleased with Dr Mac and I will definately order again.

Oh, also received one of his bubble tip anemones and my clown pair slept in it that very night :smokin:

http://www.fitermania.com/aquarium/images/blue_tip_stag_5_24_01.jpg