PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 reef

TrippingBilly
02/15/2003, 03:30 AM
pic of my 2.5 reef in December

Soccer
02/15/2003, 06:52 PM
Very nice pics;)
Also is that a BTA that the clowns hosting in, and finally is it a true or false perc.

Thanx and nice little tank :)

RalphP
02/15/2003, 08:25 PM
Hi
Nice little clam.I have a nice maxima that started out in my 7 gal nano about 2 years ago.About a year ago I jumped to a 30 gal with a mh light the clam looks as great now as it did with 2 pcs.Good luck

aquaria_marine
02/18/2003, 03:52 PM
Hey,

Nice reef, how about some specification? Ex. lighting, filtration, inhabitants, amoount of live rock, etc.

Josh

TrippingBilly
02/25/2003, 03:16 PM
Thanks, RalphP.

Soccer, that is a BTA, but the clown doesn't host in it. It prefers the goniopora, and it is a false percula.

aquaria_marine, it is a AGA 2.5 gallon set up in April 2002, with LR and LS (don't know how much, probably about 3-4 lbs. LR and 5 LS I'm guessing), mini-jet 606 for water movement and 26 watts of PC (1 blue, 1 white). Inhabitants as of 2/25/03 are 2 small BTA's (will be moved when they get bigger), 1.5 inch toadstool leather, trumpet coral, mushrooms, and capnella. The clam died unfortunately when I was on vacation for two weeks, and the other inhabitants have been moved to other tanks due to size.

Nishant3789
02/25/2003, 11:33 PM
your keeping a clown fish and an anemone in a 2.5 gallon tank? why? you know thats not good right? i mean sure theyll probably be ok for a couple of months, but very soon, i mean like within a year, the clowns going to grow too big, not to mention the anemone....... anyways looks good otherwise
nishant

TrippingBilly
02/26/2003, 12:19 AM
from previous post, "Inhabitants as of 2/25/03 are 2 small BTA's (will be moved when they get bigger), 1.5 inch toadstool leather, trumpet coral, mushrooms, and capnella...
... and the other inhabitants have been moved to other tanks due to size."

What this means is that the clownfish has since been moved. Please read before making any comments instead of just looking at the pictures and drawing your own conclusions. He was temporarily put in the 2.5 because I was waiting for new bulbs to arrive for my other tank and I wanted to keep him and the gonio together. The fish was in there for about a month. So for your information, Nishant3789, I am aware that a clownfish would outgrow the tank. I am aware that a year down the road, the clown would be too big. So why don't you just wait until a year later and check with me to see if the clown is still in there and ask me if I know thats not good?

Have a nice day everyone.

cjm033
02/26/2003, 04:32 PM
ok first off that goniopora is awsome! the clown is cool im thinking of gettn a small black perc for my 2.5 my lfs has them very small then ill have my 28 bow up by time it outgrows the tank so ill transfer it. your other corals are look great and in good condition what is your lighting on there? i have 2 13 watts over my 2.5,Chris

TrippingBilly
02/28/2003, 08:28 PM
Hey Chris, thanks. The Goniopora got way too big and I had to move it to another tank. When fully expanded, it was taking up half the tank. I have 2x13 PC's on the tank. I built a custom canopy, and I'm pretty bad at woodwork so it took me like a week, so now I don't want to change the lighting b/c it will mess up the wood, but if you wanted to, you could squeeze 4x13 PC's in there if you don't use reflectors and put the ballasts elsewhere. I'll try and get a picture of the hood if you want to see the set up.

max101101
03/01/2003, 12:09 AM
Nice tank. You shouldn't have put a squamosa (or any clam for that matter) under only 26 watts of pc. That would probably explain its death... or the lack of dosing vital phyto or other nuitrients for a clam less than 3". baby clam needs both adaqute light for photosynthesis and phyto for nutrients... 0/2... Bad reefer, bad.

Here's a pic of my clamless 2.5...
http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1072330

TrippingBilly
03/01/2003, 01:09 AM
max101101,
While I agree that certain Tridacna clams (such as crocea) should not be kept under anything less than MH's, T. squamosa and T. derasa can be kept under PC's or VHO's when they are young (~3 in and less). At this stage, they are less dependent on light and more dependent on being fed regularly. And by the way, where do I ever mention that I do not feed phyto??? ("and phyto for nutrients... 0/2... Bad reefer, bad"). For your information, max101101, I feed DT's to that tank everyday (ok, once in a while I miss a day). NO WHERE in this thread do I go into the details of feeding, so where do you get me saying that I don't feed phyto? Again, I guess here is someone who clicks reply before reading. And if you're calling me a bad reefer for keeping the clam too close to other organisms that may (and probably did) harm it, I wont disagree with you, but if you are calling me a bad reefer for not providing enough light and phyto, then I suggest you learn to read before you post. I saw your thread, and it says you threw your tank together when, last weekend? And you have more than half a dozen corals in it already? Do I call you a bad reefer? No. Why? Because I'm not a ***** (unlike certain people). So if you are just kidding around, fine, I apologize in advance for making more of a deal than should be, but if you are serious, please PM me and I would love to settle this problem off the boards.

To anyone else who is reading this thread, I do not wish to start any wars, so if you have something negative or derogatory to add, please do so reasonably, and please get the facts straight. This is now the second time in this thread that someone has blatantly made up something that I haven't said and put it in my mouth. I would appreciate any helpful comments, but please keep them tasteful. Thank you and have a nice day.

cjm033
03/01/2003, 01:19 AM
max ive seen people successfully keep clams under 26 watts of pc in a 2.5 gallon and its doing great i thin that trippings tank is very nice as well as yours but its very well kept and it looks like he knows what hes doing,Chris

max101101
03/01/2003, 02:24 AM
TrippingBilly- How were you dosing your phyto while you were on vacation for two weeks?

max101101
03/01/2003, 02:32 AM
BTW - You're tank is ugly and drab. I only said "Nice tank" to be nice. It's almost as ugly as your temper. Relax...:smokin:

TrippingBilly
03/01/2003, 11:54 AM
Well, I guess not everyone's mature enough to handle this like an adult.

Chris, thanks for the kind words. Good luck on your tank.

max101101, how old are you by the way? Just curious. Obviously you did not take my suggestion to PM me to work this out. When I was on vacation, I moved my tank to my parents' house and they helped me take care of the tank for me. They don't have a reef, but they have kept a freshwater aquariam for almost as long as I have been alive. I checked in with them almost daily.

So... my tank is ugly? OK, well that's your opinion so I don't have a problem with that. But my temper is ugly? I don't think you understand my friend, but I was simply trying to defend myself from an unreasonable flame. If I was indeed angry, it would be a lot different, and you would know it. Again, if you would like to resolve this like an adult, then PM me and perhaps we would wouldn't have to bring all this ugliness to the boards. If you're still not content, and would like to contact me offline, I will give you my info, and we can take care of this in other ways. Please take time to think about the comments you've made and think if they really hold. Most of your words, from what I can deduce are either untrue, or made in anger. I would really hate to have this turn out to be something ugly.

By the way, for anyone who may be new to the hobby and reading this, clams do need very strong light as adults (preferably MH's), and an established tank. The clam was a little over an inch, and would've been moved to much stronger lighting after another inch or two of growth.

max101101
03/01/2003, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the mild threats...:( Kinda funny how you didn't PM me instead of "bring[ing] all this ugliness to the boards" I'm done.

TrippingBilly
03/01/2003, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the mild threats

They weren't mild threats, I was merely trying to find a way to a peaceful resolution. The last thing I want is to start a war. My last name is not Bush. Kinda funny how you didn't PM me instead of
I didn't PM you b/c in case you don't remember, you started this argument, I merely posted a picture I wanted to share with the nano community. You're the one who started the flaming so I just asked you to PM me if you have a problem, and of course you didn't. And by the way, YOU have a PM.
I'm done.
Good. In the future, please think before you hit reply. Your arguments have no rhetoric or support. It hurts me to see you embarrass yourself like this in public. Like I stated earlier, you have a PM. I hope you will agree to resolve this argument off the boards. Thank you

Carlos
03/03/2003, 02:11 PM
Personal assaults are not permitted in this board. The thread is now closed.

Any comments, problems, or suggestions you might have, please feel free to send me a Private Message.

Carlos