PDA

View Full Version : Iceprobe chiller

Buzzfish
02/13/2003, 02:22 PM
has anyone used one of these?

I have an eclipse 6 that i just put a retrofit into, and i'm having trouble keeping the temp down. has anyone used on of these or know of aosmething else that will help?

thanks in advance,

Sugar Magnolia
02/13/2003, 02:51 PM
Hi Buzz

Check this link... http://www.turetsky.org/nanoreef/ This guy also has a Eclipse 6 that he retrofitted. Maybe it will give you an idea about how to let some of that heat off.

I just started my Eclipse 6 about a month and a half ago. I haven't messed with the lighting yet, but need to. I 've got a question for you. Are you running your Eclipse with the biowheel and carbon cartridge? I've read conflictiong advice on this subjectso I'm curious as to how yours is set up.

Buzzfish
02/13/2003, 03:14 PM
I've always run the regular eclipse filter w/ the bioWheel with no problems. A couple times when i added new rock i had to lay some SeaChem Phosgaurd in on top of the filter pack and that worked to remove the phosphates that i assumed were caused by die-off, but really have had no problems. I had seen that link before, butAfter reading it again i think i'm going to try to create some vents in the hood, with some old CPU fans i have laying around to help out. I'l let you know how that goes.

As far as lighting goes, i chose the 32W 13" smartlite retrofit. The reflective mirror is a tad too long for the hood, but if you trim off an inch or so it fits right up in there. It's not a direct retrofit but its a nice, small light package for these tanks IMO.

thanks for the response.

Buzzfish
02/14/2003, 03:17 PM
Worked like a charm :)

I cut a hole in the hood above the lamp, and bolted in a 12V computer case fan so it pulling all the heat right off the bulbs. Now i have no temperature problems whatsoever and I don't need to drop the cash on a chiller.

I'll post pics when i can get my hands on a camera.

Sugar Magnolia
02/14/2003, 04:03 PM
Did you get your new retro kit from ahsupply or hellolights? Hellolights tells me that the 13 watt kit would be sufficient for the tank which would jive with the two watts per gallon rule.

Buzzfish
02/14/2003, 04:14 PM
This is the one i got:
http://www.customsealife.com/NewFiles/smartlite-retro.html

I can't remember where i bought it, maybe from dr foster. it's 32W, but it's half actinic and half 10,000K daylight. It's A LOT brighter then the one that came with the tank, and seems to fit in there fine.