PDA

View Full Version : What ALGAEs do you have / Club project

Python73
02/13/2003, 04:04 AM
I have a project in mind for the club webpage. Frankly, I'd like to do it for my own benefit, but I'm betting lots of others want something like this also.

What I want to do is compile a web page with large, clear and concise pictures of the more common to the trade macro algaes. Along with scientific names and common names if any. If anyone knows of an authoritative source already in print or online, let me know and we can skip the effort. But don't say Sprung's new algae book, or I'll kick you.

In my tanks I have the following:

chaetomorpha (the brillo pad kind, thanks Rob)
3 or 4 kinds of caulerpa (I'll have to re-look them up online, and squint at the d@mn pictures :mad2: )

Here's what I think we'd want picture-wise:

4 pictures of each algae, at LEAST 4x6 cropped, maybe even a bit bigger would be better
1 - clear, in tank picture under normal tank lighting
2 - same as above, different angle
3 - closeup of the stem and a few offshoots
4 - a piece out of water on a solid background

If you are interested in participating, bring your pics to the meeting next weekend on a CD. Bring the raw pics if possible, I'll resize them. I'll keep track of who gave what pics, and we'll give credit on the page when it gets made. I can also burn CDs of the final compilation for anyone who contributes, free of charge.

If we get a good response, we could have a really nice and somewhat unique offering on our club's site. Thoughts?

S !

Dargon
03/04/2003, 11:59 AM
I have healthy Halimedia sp. which came on some of my live rock.

I could even harvest some for the raffle, but I don't know how many people will want it. It does take up calcium.

Dan