PDA

View Full Version : Favorite LFS in DFW area?

sambryce
02/12/2003, 11:13 AM
Hi, I'm just starting out in SW and wondering what everyone's favorite LFS is in the area.

I've been to Dallas North Aquarium (expensive) and Boutique Pet Shop. What area y'all's opinions on these two?

I've heard several people mention SW Paradise in Irving. Do they sell tanks also or just fish/coral?

Thanks

clamster
02/12/2003, 12:00 PM
just because I live in Euless (Useless), the closest one is
PlanetPet. I used to order my salts online, but I've been buying
my mixes there just because 30% Web Wednesday makes it
cheaper and more convenient then paying the extra $21.00
for shipping.

I am wondering if some of these on-line shops are "padding" their prices with shipping/handling costs.

jhead67
02/12/2003, 01:07 PM
Really depends on what you want to buy.

SWP in Irving is one of the best if not the best SPS store in the area. He only has a few fish but all his hard and soft coral is great and very well lit and displayed.

NDA has some nice stuff but they are way over priced, gotta pay for that new store ya know.

Pet Planet is wonderful and usually has great products at a fair price.

Saltwater Solution is not bad either. They have a lot of fish and Soft corals with fair prices also. But I'm not real impressed with they over all water quality or lighting and warehouse look to the place.

Aquatic Designs in Plano is a nice place. Larry and a few of the older guys there are real knowledgeable and don't really try to over sell you or push products off on you. But, they won't talk themselves out of a sale either. :) They have nice fish, good lighting and the occasional nice piece of SPS coral.

I'll stop there to try and keep this from becoming a rant. But, the last item I'd like to add is that for larger drygoods and livestock purchases, like salt, pumps, fish and inverts, I usually save enough money by ordering on-line to more than cover the shipping.

HTH