PDA

View Full Version : Superglue Zoo Frags ?

wild_duece2000
02/11/2003, 01:38 PM
This may be a stupid question but how do I super glue them to a rock ? The glue doesn't effect the water ? Any particular type of glue ? More details please.....

lllosingit
02/11/2003, 01:55 PM
Just a hint if you need a question answered try a search first then if you have no luck post your question.
I'm not trying to be rude but RC has tons of info available.
Here you go http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145142&highlight=superglue

arcab4
02/11/2003, 05:33 PM
my experience..i have better luck with them attaching and surviving by just tying them down to a small rubble with some string. by the time the string dissolves away, the zoo should've already attached.

or maybe cause i'm just clumsy with glue. everytime i try using it or try using putty..i make a real mess.

wild_duece2000
02/11/2003, 06:34 PM
My bad, thought this was a discussion board.....

holeinone1972
02/11/2003, 06:41 PM
wild_duece2000

Don't sweat it........

Superglue works great, any kind of superglue is just fine,

I have done hundres of zoo's this way, no problemo

Now if you are in no hurray at all, you can simply put a piece of rock next to the zoo's and wait until they spread naturally

I like the superglue method it is SUPER

Rob

Nagel
02/11/2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by wild_duece2000

it is :)

Many people tell you to search because it's this tiny link that alot of people don't see. Once told, they become quiet for months as they search for everything they ever wondered about :) I was one of them....

As for the glue, try a gel type of superglue made with cyanoacrylate ester. It's usually listed on the back of the package, in the caution statement. I actually use a super glue called "Super Glue" Gel from Pacer Technology. Never had a problem, attached many many zoos with it....

Just be careful to keep the glue on the zoos base and NOT on their opening. Easy way to do that is just dry the rock, put a small dab of glue on and dry the bottom of the polyp(s) and slap them on there. Wait a minute, rinse in some tankwater (which you will discard) and toss back in the tank. Holds 95% of the time for me...

The glue could make your skimmer foam a bit if used alot in a small tank, but it's usually nothing. I rinse them off in some tankwater (which is discarded) before returning them to the tank to remove the "skin coat" from the glue. It also sets the glue.

HTH

lllosingit
02/11/2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by wild_duece2000
Yes, it is a discussion board, but I was actually trying to be helpful! I learned a lot by just doing searches, I was able to read more on a subject by searching than posting and waiting for a reply.
I took the time to find a thread that had the answer you were looking for!
SORRY next time I'll just ignore your post!

musicsmaker
02/12/2003, 12:08 AM
Many people tell you to search because it's this tiny link that alot of people don't see. Once told, they become quiet for months as they search for everything they ever wondered about I was one of them.... I was, still am, and will be for some time. For every post count I have, I've done at least 3 searches. :D

Superglue... Standard equipment for most reefers. :D

TS
02/12/2003, 12:21 AM
I'll reiterate that the gel works much better for me. I made lots of messes and killed stuff until I found out about the gel. Makes all the difference in the world.

FWIW I think illosingit was trying to be helpful, I've seen many, many rude "why don't you search?" posts and don't think this was one of them.

Now let's all forget about it and talk about some zos.
:)

Travis

stereomandan
02/12/2003, 12:34 AM
So the zoos are fine out of the water for a full minute while the glue dries a little? I never knew that. Is it true?

Dan

musicsmaker
02/12/2003, 12:42 AM
From what I've been told, zoo's are exposed to air during low tide. Even rained on. So, yes. They will be fine out of the water for a few.

J4Life
02/12/2003, 12:49 AM
Loctite has a super glue gel that comes in a bottle and is very easy to use and no mess. I just did this with some of my Zo's and it worked great.

Good luck and HTH's,
Bill

wild_duece2000
02/12/2003, 12:44 PM
Great! Thanks guys.
I didn't mean to upset lllosingit, but I am aware of searching and really wasn't satisfied with what I found, It seemed like when it was discussed, you already understood the concept ( which I didn't ) Who would have guessed you could use superglue in your tank ? I have a few colonies that I had broke apart from a larger rock and strategically placed on LR throughout the tank.
They have been there for a while but have never attached themselves to the rock. So when my powerheads turn on or mischievous snails run across them, they fall into cracks. You guys know the deal.

dellrio
02/15/2003, 01:25 AM
dont worry about posting your question.. thats why there is this message board. i dont know why people get so aggressive sometimes.. your obviosuly a bit newer to the post wiht only 23 posts... anyhow.. super glue gel works best.. and yea many corals can stay out of water for the couple of seconds u apply the glue and then the frag or whatever.. and when u put the super glue gel in water it actually sets it in place.. it doenst need to air dry.. the water does that!

Zepplin
02/15/2003, 09:02 PM
Another zoanthid superglue advocate. I wouldn't do it any other way.

-Meg

KorbinDallas
02/18/2003, 12:05 PM
I use the cram-them-into-a-hole-in-the-rocks method. Usually works if you can get them to stay put. I've tried tying thread around them, but it never seems to stay. They second I put it in the tank, my hermits started undoing the knot I made like they were unwrapping a Christmas present. I've also used superglue, and my hermits seemed to like to pick at the dried glue too.

I've always thought about just jamming the zoos in between two smallish rocks so they grow onto them.

Yves
02/24/2003, 01:59 AM
Loctite has a product called quicktite super glue gel... I think thats what bgerrard is talking about... I found it at the local target for a few bucks also found a small tool kit from from durabuilt with all kinds of tools to remove zoos from rocks...then bought a small screwdriver set for chipping away the coraline algae under zoos (makes a great base for glueing)...was able to put a good propagation kit together for about 12 bucks. :)

fishome25
02/24/2003, 06:41 PM
any other ideas or removing them from the colony? mine seem to fall off after a few days of glueing them.

Bio
02/24/2003, 07:04 PM
fishome25,

Although I have also used glue I prefer a piece of thread...

I have found that they recover just as quick and its less messy:D