PDA

View Full Version : Mike's first post...

Mike_Kealey
02/09/2003, 11:05 PM
Hello there ladies and gents,

This is Mike Kealey...Minh's buddy from Manchester. I haven't posted anything yet because I've been a little busy making sure this @#^@$%^ thing doesn't go trough the floor! That may sound like a joke...but....

It was really great to meet everybody at the meeting in the Paragon Aquatics shop. All of the advise was just super and has proven to be invaluable to us as we set up our first (but not last?) reef tank. I'm psyched about the forum and about the possibility of a new site. I'll try to do my part by contributing. Unfortunately I'm still in the learning stages. Maybe someday soon my year of invertebrate zoology class will pay off. I was really digging Peege's description of splitting the anemones. That's pretty cool I have to say.

I've got some questions about the lighting and ballasts in general. I'll try to post those questions in the best spot. Any input about Metal Halides (like figuring out what the wattage is on these used bulbs when there is absolutely nothing printed on either the bulb or the base!!!....argh! Or an explanation of why my dedicated, 20 amp circuit keeps blowing every time we plug the darn things in) ...would be greatly appreciated.

later,
Mike

minh_han
02/12/2003, 10:33 PM
After seeking the advice of an electrician, going to HD (yet another time), rechecking our wiring, getting an ampmeter, and even writing to the manufacturer, we have come to the conclusion that the ballast the LFS guy gave us is a piece of junk that isn't worth throwing into a landfill. I've been trying to contact this guy, leaving him messages and what not, but there has been no reply. I'm usually a nice guy in general, but this guy would test the patience of a saint.

And as for the floor, Mike and I got some floor jacks (three of them) and placed them under the floor in the room the tank is located. Hopefully that will prevent either the tank or our upcoming guests to make a quick one-way access into our basement. :) Over the next few months, we plan on tightening some of the jacks and supports, doing it slowly to give the wood time to adjust.