PDA

View Full Version : How many kinds of Nassarius snails are there?

RobertK
04/06/2000, 11:33 PM
Thank you, Ron.
I am surprised that my new snails (the black ones with smooth shells) are not Nassarius. I got them from Inland Aquatics, who should know better than that. I think I'll give them a jingle.
RK

RobertK
04/07/2000, 08:31 AM
Greetings,
I recently ordered some more Nassarius snails and they are quite different from the other two times I've bought them before. I've now got what appear to be 3 different types of Nassarius: 1) about 1 cm long with white rough-textured shell, 2) same as #1 but with greenish shell, 3) about 1.5 cm long with smooth black shell. They all behave the same and have the typical Nassarius siphon. I'm just curious how many different kinds there are. (Is there a Dr. Ron in the house?)
Thanks,
RK

[This message has been edited by RobertK (edited 04-07-2000).]

rshimek
04/07/2000, 08:45 AM
Hi,

There are about 200-300 species of Nassarius. The first 2 types you describe are probably the same species, from Florida. The last one is not a Nassariusat all, no Nassarius has a smooth shell, but a related animal called Ilynassa obsoleta. This latter species is found in temperate waters along the Atlantic Coast of North America, and will not live for extended periods in a reef tank. It is sold either by 1)unscrupulous dealers trying to cash in by killing animals, or 2)by fools who think it is Nassarius.

By the way, shell color is NOT a good character to use in differentiating snails.

Cheers, Ron :D