PDA

View Full Version : I want to get into diving

minireefkid
02/08/2003, 01:42 PM
I live in Naples, Florida and would like to get my diving licence. I am only 14. Could you tell me how long it would take, costs, ect? My couisn's girlfriend is studying mairne biology. Also what would be some cheap places to go, luckily I live in a tropical area.
Thanks
Scott

LittleMatt
02/08/2003, 08:49 PM
I live up in Massachusetts, and I also want to get into SCUBA diving. From what I've seen, places in Mass, charge upwards of $300 and they give you class time, pool time and then ocean time. You study and everything in the classroom, and the instructor shows you skills in the pool and lets you practice. Then you go out to the ocean and you just do everything you learned. This is just what I've gathered from looking online. These guys should be able to elaborate, and help you and me both.

Brimarbio
02/10/2003, 06:21 PM
Hmm, I don't really know much bout the FL setup but I'll go with the ~300 cost. Times vary depending on how quickly you want to get teh work done. I finished mine in a few days but I really wouldn't recomend that route to anyone (you learn so much in the first cert level it's tough to retain it all if it's done over such a short span of time). Most should take a month or two I believe. Another issue you'll need to decide is which certification (PADI, NAUI,...). Being in FL I'd also recommend that you try and take a DIR course after you get certified. Cheep places to go are all over and easy to find on the net. Lots of stuff in the keys, Bahama, Mexico, if you don't mind the potential troubles, Haundraus is also good/cheep. That should give you a good start...
Brian

Tonka
02/10/2003, 08:01 PM
Im 15 and learned when I was like about 13, its really simple I was certified by SSI and Im already a Advanced Open Water, hoping to be pretty soon a Master Diver, IMHO dont start buying tanks and everything just rent it out, because if you dont like it then you will have a problem. Just buy the bascis(snorkel, fins, etc...). Also I dont like the idea of learning in a pool. its way better when you learn in a beach, you start seeing marine life and its amazing, find it way more enthusiastic and exciting, good luck.

Brimarbio
02/11/2003, 10:23 AM
Hmm, I'll go with the don't buy the gear right off, wait till you're into it a little ways and see how often you're going to go. If you only end up going once a month then it's cheeper to just rent but if you get hooked as many of us have and end up going once or twice a week or something then renting gear gets way too costly. As for the learning in a pool verses open water... I must respectfully dissagree. The reason that they teach in a pool is that it's a much safer and more controled environment for training the basics of diving. This can be a very dangerous sport if you don't know what you're doing and/or aren't paying attention. Just my 2 cents.
Brian

e12pilot
02/16/2003, 08:40 PM
Hey all,
First, like any sport SCUBA is expensive, and a whole lot of fun. However, it is one of the only sports I know where a little mistake on your part could be life threatening very quickly.

With that being said, in my experience you get what you pay for. Usually an open water course through PADI will cost you anywhere from $190-$400 depending on how you want the class to be run. Private classes(just you and an instructor) will be the most expensive, but will also provide you with the most amount of personal instruction. Group courses are the cheapest, and usually "one on one" instruction only happens if you are having specific problems with a certain aspect of the course.

Now, group instruction can be just as good as private instruction, if you have the right instructor. Just remember ask a lot of questions, and try to get the best instruction for your money.

In terms of certification agencies, PADI is the largest, but the largest is not always the best. In my opinion it all comes down to the instructor, and their teaching abilities.

Like some people mentioned before this it is possible to do your confined water dives(usually in a pool) in open water. I personally have never run a class like this due to conditions where I teach(Oregon). However, if you live in a tropical destination that has water clarity and calmness similar to that of a pool your pool sessions may be in the ocean. Sorta cool if you ask me. Hopefully I have answered your questions.

Peter Maag
PADI MSDT-179147

sdenney
02/16/2003, 09:56 PM
I started my SCUBA obsession when I was twelve. My uncle, a retired judge, founds programs for juvenile deliquents in which they learn trade skills. One in particular, FOSI, is a program that involves maritime trade skills, including SCUBA training.

When a group of new teachers at the school needed to get trained, I trained with them. My instructor was a former Navy frogman. The program was with PADI.

Most of the diving in Ft. Lauderdale is off the beach and not too deep, so further certification was not necessary at the time.

A few years ago, while a sophomore in college at UF, I got my Advanced OpenWater through NAUI. And, just in the last year, I have been Nitrox certified through SSI.

I plan to obtain my master dive certification this summer after I take the technical and rescue dive courses.

Future plans may include Trimix certification, but for now Nitrox is fine for everything where I live. I also want to get into some amatuer underwater photography and wreck diving.

I probably won't get my instructor license just because of the extra costs involved for the program, insurance and yearly dues to the cert. agencies.

It doesn't really matter what agency you train under, but the instructor can make all the difference. Luckily for me, all three instructors I have trained with made the experience quite enjoyable.

My initial PADI training cost me $20 (for the processing fee). My Advanced course cost me $180 (an extra $300 for the ocean trip). My Nitrox course cost me $225 including tank rentals (extra $300 for the ocean trip).

Around Gainesville, an openwater course is roughly $200 (not including ocean trip or gear).

I didn't buy my scuba gear until after my Advanced course. The gear is relatively expensive and I didn't want to have to buy new gear every few years because I had grown out of it like a pair of tennis shoes.

I'm in the midst of buying a console computer (Oceanic DataLinkPlus2). It fully supports nitrox, is trimix compatible, and computer datalink capable.

johnrags1234
02/18/2003, 02:13 PM
Im certified. Im 15 but got my c- card when I was 12. My dad has a house in Naples FL, and I went diving there. I would not say that it is someplace you would want to learn at or dive in alot. The water is realy quite murky. I prefer the keys, or the caribean. This is good news for you since you arent too far!