PDA

View Full Version : website question all cmas members plz read

alpine
02/08/2003, 07:24 AM
Hi everybody

I was wondering what everybody thinks about our website as a whole?I feel that there could be some improvements made,well actually additions.I was thinking along the lines of a DIY page for those of us that like to tinker with things and save some cash.Me and a fellow cmas member will be building a dual chamber calcium reactor in the next couple of weeks and it would be nice to share the pics and building procedure with all of cmas for future reference.I know our last meeting was about building a calcium reactor,but it would be nice to have a step by step procedure with picsro go alomg with it.I also plan to build a beckett skimmer in a couple of months and would like to do the same.Well I guess this is something we can probaly all bring up at the meeting and see what can become of it.

Thanks for reading Jorge

makoshark
02/09/2003, 11:59 PM
Jorge,

Please feel free to bring this up at the next meeting, although I'm not sure how much business is going to be discussed prior to the swap meet.

jbash
02/12/2003, 03:49 PM
There generally isn't a business meeting at the swap meet as no one will pay attention:-)

We've been looking for an ambitious webmaster for quite a while, as all Marty and I have time for is to post meeting announcements and update the sponsor page. She does the newsletter and I do membership (she does some of that too and by default I seem to do announcements on reefs.org, reefcentral, reefkeeping, etc:-) We have maintained the web page because nobody has come along who will do that (and the last webmaster quit answering email or doing anything). At least 4-5 people have volunteered but for whatever reason they haven't taken over--Geoff came the closest but what he really wanted to do was set up the message board and we all know where that is now (on my "to do" list is to remove the link from the CMAS web page but I keep forgetting...)

Another idea for the web site that club members liked was some kind of online frag swap resource--an indication of who had what and would be willing to trade, as many of us quit bringing frags to regular meetings since we never know who will be there or what they might want. But all this would require some effort on somebody's part. Also, the clug gets free web space from petsforum but they don't support any CGI scripts so anything fancy would mean adding/changing hosts.

I don't want to discourage good ideas, just let you know that it takes club members with time and skills to volunteer to carry them out:-)

jim b

makoshark
02/12/2003, 04:29 PM
Jim,

I was kind of hoping that you would simply replace the old forum link with a link to this one.

I'm a PC/Network Technician. I build the servers that you host web pages on I'm not very good at designing web pages. I can help out with little things here and there but I'm thinking you want a professional web designer.

I was thinking that this could be our on-line frag swap. Perhaps we could use the polling capabilty or simply do like we have been so far with equipment i.e. throw it out there and see how many replies you get.

jbash
02/12/2003, 04:42 PM
Replacing the link with this one is fine with me as long as you don't have to be logged in to reefcentral to get to this one. If so, I think it needs to be done a little differently so as not to confuse folks who don't use reefcentral.

I've been meaning to write you but I've been very busy--sorry. Thanks for setting up this forum. I gave up on keeping up with the volumes on reefcentral but once my life slows down a little (I hope!) I'll get back to reading RC and this forum regularly.

I mainly read today so I could post an announcement of the Swap Meet as I think it is rude to post a new message without seeing what it already on the forum:-) It just occurred to me that I should have mentioned this forum when I posted on the main Reef Discussion forum. Maybe someone else will do that a little later and in the process "bump" the message:-)

See you Saturday, maybe we can talk about the web site after we do our trading (it is generally hectic till then). I'm off to post on 3 listserves (reefs-l, reefkeeping and reeefkeepers), rec.marine.reefs newsgroup and Reefs.org. If anyone wants to post elsewhere about the swap meet please do--this is not officially part of my "job" so I just post where I normally visit.

jim b

makoshark
02/12/2003, 04:48 PM
I believe that you can read as a guest if you want to post you have to be a member.

See you Saturday.