PDA

View Full Version : Acclimating

buggle
02/07/2003, 08:39 PM
I think I may get some zoos this weekend. Is there a certain/special way to accilmate them? Or just place them where you want them once you get home from the LFS? Thanks in advance.

Buggle

blueoceandiver
02/07/2003, 08:58 PM
i got some killer zoos from a fellow reefer and they are doing good.acclimate very slowly and dont give in to the LETS SEE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE IN THE TANK syndrome. take your time and they will do fine:cool: :D

musicsmaker
02/08/2003, 12:29 AM
I have my own method. I float the bag for 15-30 minutes and jab a tiny hole in it with some nose hair scissors. I give em about 30 more minutes and poke a hole in the other side. An hour later I might widen the holes some and give a few more minutes. I will continue to gradually tear the bag open, then I will let whatever is in it into the tank. This is all done in a semi-high flow area. And I have yet to lose an animal due to acclimation related stress. If conditions allowed for it I would prefer to do the drip method.

max101101
02/08/2003, 01:33 AM
I'm gonna have to disagree with musicsmacker about slowly mixing the water. "Swaping Juices" with other systems can be very dangerous and even kill entire tanks. It's safer to take cup fulls of water and add it to the bag that you got it in.
-Max

musicsmaker
02/08/2003, 01:10 PM
"Swaping Juices" with other systems can be very dangerous and even kill entire tanks. Could you be a little more elaborate? I've never really posted about how I do it, and I'd hate to kill off my tank. :( Looks like I'll be finding a new method.

barebottoms
02/08/2003, 01:45 PM
Musicmaker, swapping juices as in the water from the bag is the unknown. Your method will introduce the unknown into your tank.

What I normally do for acclimation is pour out some water from the the bag so there is just enough to cover the specimen when I float the bag. Float it for 30 minutes, then every 5 to 10 minutes, I take a turkey baster and put in about 5 to 10 ml of tank water. I keep doing this until the bags is full. Then again pour out most of the water and repeat for 30 minutes more.

Take out the specimen and throw away all the bag water.

There is the drip method too, put the specimen in a bucket, take and airline to the tank, the other end to the bucket. Tie a loose knot at the bucket end to adjust the flow. Its recommended a lot, but I'm not too sure about this method since the temperature is not constant. The rate at which you are dripping, I don't think it can possibly ever catch up to tank temperature.