PDA

View Full Version : Close to St. Louis

amy_2281
02/07/2003, 03:23 AM
I am at the lake of the ozarks and i guess the only reefer near here ! Just wanting to get aquainted with some fellow reefers in the area. I was lookin for someone i could get some sand from and there is noone near here :( So hi and I'd like to hear from y'all

griss
02/07/2003, 10:04 AM
Amy,

What kind of sand are you looking for? Are you looking to get bags of Southdown or are you looking to get a cup of live sand to get your sandbed started?

Griss

Nanook
02/07/2003, 10:44 AM
[welcome]

Good to have you Amy...I can give you some livesand if you need some...don't take sand from Griss though, whatever you do.

Nanook:p

amy_2281
02/07/2003, 04:59 PM
I appreciate the warm replies ! I was lookin for some sand to help reseed my dsb ! I need critters. Also do y'all have any frags for sale ? I need to get something growing in my tank.

TooFar2Sea
02/07/2003, 06:40 PM
Hi Amy...welcome to Griss & Nanook's Playhouse!!! , I mean St Louis reefing. Your request for sand is a tough one because most LFS in the area do not carry it. What type of frags are you looking for? What type of lighting do you have? This area is full of reefers who are generous with their coral frags.
The local saltwater club is having it's annual propagation meeting tomorrow. If you could attend that you would be sure to get some nice frags. If you cannot come to St Louis are you hoping for someone to ship you some frags?

amy_2281
02/07/2003, 06:44 PM
Due to the FLU problem I can't make it this time but, am planning on going to the next one as far as frags I would prob hafta do shipping I dunno with the cold the way it is right now if that is a good idea ! I have a 77 gallon and have floresent lighting for now am gettin 2 250 or 400 w mh soon !
Nice to meet you hope to talk soon I hang out in RC chat all the time lol
Amy

griss
02/08/2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by TooFar2Sea
Hi Amy...welcome to Griss & Nanook's Playhouse!!!
:lol: Gary that freaking cracked me up.

Originally posted by Nanook
Good to have you Amy...I can give you some livesand if you need some...don't take sand from Griss though, whatever you do.
Amy, if you knew Nooky boy you would know that he is just kidding. Nook, just for that you don't get the big orange Monti colony I was gonna give you:D Just kidding;)

Amy,

If you make it to STL any time I can get you a cup or two of live sand and pods, bristleworms and mysid shrimps for your DSB. You are also welcome to have some of my Spaghetti Macroalgae.

George

amy_2281
02/08/2003, 04:58 PM
I know nook a little from the rc chat room and know he's a kidder so it's all good i will be coming to st l next weekend or the weekend after that to goto the childrens aquarium :) i would love to see your set up :)Ill let ya know when the date is set for sure :)

TooFar2Sea
02/08/2003, 06:31 PM
The St Louis Children's Aquarium is a nice place to visit, especially if you have little ones. If you make it there, however, you should make sure to visit Clayton Pet Emporium. It is within about a mile of the children's aquarium and even if you are just window shopping the SPS they have are worth the trip.

mredman
02/08/2003, 06:57 PM
There is a pet shop in St. Charles, MO near the intersection of Hwy 70 and Hwy 94. It is only one block south on 94 on the east side of the road. This shop specializes in reefs and carries Southdown sand.

Mike

TooFar2Sea
02/08/2003, 08:54 PM
The LFS at 70 & 94 is called Reef Systems. As of today they did not have any Southdown sand in stock. Thanks to mredman for the possible source.

amy_2281
02/08/2003, 08:59 PM
I was looking for some sand to seed mine i have a 2-4 inch bed in my tank now and i do have details on my website about my tank (as pitiful as it is) which is almost empty the url is http://www.freewebs.com/amysreef
thanx for all the info

mredman
02/08/2003, 11:12 PM
Sorry that Reef Systems was out of stock. I was there in December and they had a few bags left.

Mike

griss
02/09/2003, 12:25 AM
Yes, I have never known Reef Systems F/K/A Tropics to carry Southdown. I have been there many times over the last 5 years and have never seen southdown there. Hmmm, mredman guess you must have been there on one of those occasions that they got their hands on SD west of the Mississippi....sorry I missed out on that:rolleyes:

Griss

Talonn
02/11/2003, 01:29 PM
Hello amy_2281

I am in the same boat you are. I am just now starting my first reef tank and I am looking for southdown sand but appears that's a very hard item to find here in Missouri, also from all these posts I see that LS will be hard to get locally too :(

Anyway I am just down the road from you in the Lebanon area..

Talonn

Talonn
02/11/2003, 01:47 PM
Hello amy_2281

I am in the same boat you are. I am just now starting my first reef tank and I am looking for southdown sand but appears that's a very hard item to find here in Missouri, also from all these posts I see that LS will be hard to get locally too :(

Anyway I am just down the road from you in the Lebanon area..

Talonn

kentrob11
02/18/2003, 03:02 AM
I wouldn't take sand from griss or nanook- they both are infested with fromunda flakes:smokin:

griss
02/18/2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by kentrob11
I wouldn't take sand from griss or nanook- they both are infested with fromunda flakes:smokin:
Ummm....hmmmmm.....bite me Kent:D

George

TooFar2Sea
02/18/2003, 12:54 PM
In case you missed it, there is a Southdown post in this forum. Someone is bringing a truckload to O'fallon MO this weekend.