PDA

View Full Version : Marine plants/ algae

Micky
02/05/2003, 11:18 PM
I am setting up a forty gallon refugium for my reef tank, and was worndering what marine plants and or algae to put into it. If anyone here can point me in the right direction, it sure would be a great help. Also where can I get any of these?

Python73
02/06/2003, 05:07 AM
Hey Mickey. I see you haven't had any hits, so I'll give you some advice.

Decide what you are trying to do with the algae in your 'fuge. Is it strictly for nutrient export? Do you want to feed your tangs with the harvest?

The new word on the street about caulerpa is that it is unhealthy to feed your tangs in large quantity. Now before you all flame me, I got this from a couple of people who write marine books and work with Fenner on Wetwebmedia. They know a heck of alot more than me, so I've cut back feeding caulerpa to my tangs. The solution, it seems, is to go with certain macro algaes such as chaetomorpha or gracililaria. These are non-toxic and provide the same nutrient export. Many people like chaetomorpha because it doesn't grow roots and attach to rocks or sand.

If you don't care about that, any of the caulerpas would be fine for nutrient export. They grow under just about any light, in just about any current. I like cupressoides myself, it is a hardy strain that roots to rocks and doesn't go sexual on me.

HTH.

S !

investigator1
02/06/2003, 05:27 AM
I'm going to have to suggest not going cheap and putting plastic plants in your refugium. Better go live. :rolleyes:

Micky
02/06/2003, 07:27 AM
Damm... I just spent $50.00 on some good used plastic plants on e-bay.......:D. Python thanks for your input here, anyone else ???

anthem
02/06/2003, 09:14 AM
Python, some of what you say is true but not for the reasons given. There is a gradual move away from caulerpa macro's to some other macroalgaes. Mainly because Caulerpa has some toxins that it could release back into the system (especially sensitive to corals) that happen when it goes sexual or when its harvested. . . .

Micky
02/06/2003, 07:13 PM
And those macroalgaes are????????

Frick-n-Frags
02/07/2003, 08:27 AM
Chaetomorpha, Enteromorpha, Ulva, Gracilaria, Cladophora, Halimeda, Dictyota, Codium, and Halymenia all seem to be able to grow into huge clumps.

The green ones probably are the best bet (everything but Gracilaria,(R) Halymenia(R) and Dictyota(B))

Python73
02/07/2003, 06:49 PM
Yeah, what he said. And you are correct, Anthem... the caulerpa are thought to do chemical warfare with corals. That is why they aren't usually found in the same parts of the reef as corals.

But I am more concerned with feeding my veggie eating fish than I am about corals not liking the vegetation.

S !

bookfish
02/16/2003, 04:32 PM
Halimeda can bloom and kill a tank just like any caulerpa. BEWARE!!!
-Jim A.

beefcake
02/16/2003, 04:42 PM
It's best to have more than one variety. Im trying to find me some Gracilaria Tikvahiae (Tang Heaven) to put in my fuge. It dosen't go sexual and release toxins in to the system like calurpa does. Heres a pic ...

http://www.globaldialog.com/~jrice/algae_page/redalga1.jpg

Python73
02/16/2003, 04:50 PM
The problem with that tang heaven is it floats, doesn't root to anything and will clog pumps and drains. I don't like it because of that.

S !

Micky
02/16/2003, 06:24 PM
Guys, thanks for all of your input here.... Is there any where on the web or this board I can see what some of these algae look like?
Again tanks and keep it coming......

Python73
02/16/2003, 06:51 PM
Sadly, I haven't found one good site that has clear pictures of all of the types you'd want to see. You can find a pic here and there, and if you aren't picky for detail there are some decent sites (WetWebMedia) but largely there is a lack of worthwhile archives.

I am actually starting work on a collection of pictures of the common and not so common TRADE species (because who gives a d@mn about some species that is in all the books but we can't order). If I ever get a decent compilation I'll share it here.

S !

technoshaman
02/16/2003, 08:14 PM
As for the gracilaria I have some I anchored under a rock near back of my tank and it's grown fairly well from that spot - but it is more of a floating type. I have both red and green but the red languished and is almost totally gone the green is thriving though. Chaetomorpha seems to be popular lately for critter growing fuges and is popping up a lot online.

Python have you seen www.algaebase.org for identification? They are a fairly good resource with some pictures but weighted more towards research. Also I have a book 'Marine Plants of the Cazrribean' obviously it won't have all the pacific species but many of them seem to be almost identical or have a wide distribution. Very nice little book.

Didn't know that about Halimeda going sexual I have a ton in my display tank - will have to keep an eye on it.

ReefSpy
03/11/2003, 09:42 PM
I disagree about gracilaria not being able to attach itself. Here is a good website that indicates it can be cultivated and trained to grow on something of substance
http://www.msu.edu/~merrill3/Seaweeds/Gracilaria/

I plan on trying this summarily :)

trudismith
03/17/2003, 02:16 PM
"But I am more concerned with feeding my veggie eating fish than I am about corals not liking the vegetation."

I've found that hanging a piece of dried unflavored Alaria (wakame) seaweed, which is available in natural food stores and asian markets, from a veggie clip on the side of the tank will keep your tangs and other veggie eaters plenty busy.

Fredfish
03/18/2003, 08:28 PM
Maryhm at Seacrop (http://www.seacrop.com) is selling a brown algae that tangs seem to like.

Fred.

loudog
03/24/2003, 10:37 PM
Try www.floridapets.com They have some macro's and some critters for cleaning. I'm very pleased with them.