PDA

View Full Version : 10 g question

lilswanwillow
02/05/2003, 11:02 PM
actually, this is where i put my idea up, and you think if its ok, bad, or what....
I have a standard ten gallon set up, but my hydrometer is too big for it (glass, 12 incher)
now, i came up with this interesting thing, and since the tank didn't have the dsb working yet, i had the opportunity to move things drastically without killing anything... well heres my idea:
i used a ghost house (for freshwater knifefish... clear/smoky tube about 10-11 inches long.. my knifefish never used it...) well, i set it up in the corner, so that the base of it is below the surface of the sand. the top of the tube is about 1 inch below the surface of the water, the bottom touching the bottom of the tank- think vertical pvc piping, just clear. I can read my hydrometer that way, but i was wondering a few things....
with the way its set up, do i have to do anything special so that the water gets in and out of it (I tried putting a bubbler in it, and that worked nicely to move water in the tube, and surrounding area, but i'm wondering if it would work without the bubbler)
is it just going to become a ses-pool of filth and destruction and has to be destroyed?.... I mainly use the hydrometer to mix, and can get one of those little plastic ones, you know what i mean... but this is SO nice....
will it screw with the dsb? (4 inches)

lilswanwillow
02/05/2003, 11:04 PM
the tube only has about 1/8 of an inch of sand at the bottom of it....