PDA

View Full Version : So what's a fair price for zoo's? What's the most you've paid?

lakerfan
02/05/2003, 02:12 PM
The title says it all.... I know that the prices depends mainly on the color and size of the colony, so please add that i n your descriptions. I just want to know if I'm paying the right prices for them. I just saw a 5-7 inch piece of rock covered with Aqua colored zoos for $20.

The other zoo's in my tank i got from trades with the LFS (he takes my Xenia).

max101101
02/05/2003, 04:13 PM
That is an excellent price for a colony that big and that color.

clowdy
02/05/2003, 05:12 PM
wow, that's a good price. i usually pay $30-35 for that size. mostly i buy small frags 1-2" for $15-20 depending on color. purples, blues and pinks are usually more expensive than orange green and brown.

Eric Boerner
02/05/2003, 05:15 PM
That's an awesome price for that big of a colony actually. Something that big for that kind of color online would run you $60 plus. I wouldn't pass that up. Heh, if you don't take em, lemme know where they're at. ;)

I'm usually willing to pay upto $25 for a 1"x1" frag of a super rare color. Though I prefer to get 4 to 5 polyps from people and let them grow out myself. Depending on the color, I'd go upto $10 for a decent amount of heads of a gorgous color.

When I go to trades, I offer 1"x1" frags of nice colors for no more than $15. I'll do 4 to 5 head pluck bags for $3 to $5.

Huge colonies though... I've seen big polyp rocks go in the LFS' for $50 to $120. Though I have gotten several "deals of a lifetime" from folks getting out of the hobby and have picked up their zoanthids pretty cheap ($20 to $30).

Really depends on how fanatical you are about Zoanthids, the color they are, and how many you get.

TS
02/05/2003, 06:33 PM
That rock would go for $70 easily in TX.

Even the ugly zoos go for $40 here.

:(

Thank goodness for Bryan.

:)

Quiet1
02/05/2003, 10:26 PM
Eric seems to be right in line with what I pay. I get clusters of heads for a couple of bucks at the LFS. They have grown quite nicely too.

Quiet1

lakerfan
02/06/2003, 02:52 PM
So I went back to the LFS yesterday ( I couldn't get it the night before because i had dinner plans) and they sold the rock already! All they had left was orange zoo's (already have them) it was on a 5 inch piece of rock and the rock was half covered in zoo's.

Oh well, back to hunt for more zoo's I think I want red ones now. :)

vulkum
02/07/2003, 09:14 AM
around the northwest there are a couple of stores that sell 2-3" maybe 3-4" peices for 15-20 bucks then a larger rock usually 30-40 bucks. in my ever ongoing search for colors i don't have i found a site that i won't memtion(sponsor) that had some decent larger zoo rocks but they were asking 150.00 for them. i would never pay that much for any coral. even a super rare blue SPS. to many varaibles to something happing to it. but i guess if your pocket book is big enough , and there must be people willing to pay if they charge that.
i like eric think trading with friends or even your LFS is the best way. some zoo's(if the tank conditions are right) will spread super fast. one color i have went from like 15 polyps to probabbly 250 in about 6 months. latley my search for blues though i am willing to pay 40 bucks for a frag if i can find any. seems like you flatlanders down in florida get some nice colors anyone wanna share?:D

abran
02/15/2003, 02:53 AM
i guess it all depends on where you are at. I had a slab of live rock about 20"x12" and it was completely covered with nice yellow zoa's and orange multi colored and couldn't sell it for $60. It's an awesome piece. I didn't even have anyone interested. I decided to keep it. Glad i didn't let it go now....

RalphP
02/15/2003, 10:08 AM
Hi
I just got some ,orange 5 or 6 polyps lime green 5 or 6 polyps $10 a pop

gooch
02/15/2003, 10:02 PM
I can't make my zoanthid frags fast enough. My blue ones are a great seller. When I have them in the growout tubs no one notices them. As soon as I put them in the display tank they are gone. I have in the past taken a nice branch rock and placed different colors in different zones on the rock. Then when the customer takes them home they can break the rock up or watch the whole branch fill up. Downfall to this is it is so time consuming. It can take up to two months for the rock to encrust enough for it to be sellable and quite pricey I might add. Right now it is the only way some of my slower growing zoanthids leave my place. I won't even put them on my website. I try to sell my polyps for no more than $1.00 a polyp. The real nice ones are about $2.50 a polyp or less. I charge by the color more than by the size of the rock it's on.

gooch

eight2178
02/27/2003, 08:50 PM
what LFS do you go to in rowland heights? just curious.

lakerfan
03/04/2003, 02:25 PM
Sorry about the late reply eight2178, the LFS I go to in Rowland Heights is Angel Aquarium (http://www.angelaquarium.com) you can find info on their website. They get their shipments in on Fridays and Sundays so that's the best time to go.

Also, don't miss out on Fish Collection in Placentia it's about 20 mins from Rowland Heights, but he always has some quality stuff, and great prices. Fish Collection (http://www.fishcollection.com/) Your best bet is to go to Fish Collection if you're going to make the trip out here from Pasadena. You won't get dissapointed with the selection he has.

Piero
03/04/2003, 04:48 PM
I've paid $35 and once even $40 for a small frag of the nicest zoos in my collection. figures they grow the slowest as well...aargh!:(

barebottoms
03/04/2003, 09:31 PM
Two orders to split between some people from Key West FL. DOA. Replacement shipping cost. Didn't turn out to be as described, so I ate most of the cost. -- $180 with about a 3x4 rock to show for it.

Flatworms on rock Free.

Flatworm exit - $12.99

still counting....