PDA

View Full Version : DFWMAS Meetings

NewMariner
02/05/2003, 01:09 PM
Is there anyway you could change the days DFWMAS meets? Wednesdays are HORRIBLE for me as I work....The weekends would be nice:) Any chance of this happening? I would love to join:)

Brad Ward
02/05/2003, 02:22 PM
Hey NewMariner,

We do have some meetings that do not fall on Wednesdays. Last year we had four if I recall correctly that were on the weekends. Unfortunately we can't please everyone, but we try and hold the big or unusual meetings on the weekends so that we can get as many folks to attend as possible. For everyone that doesn't like it being held on one day, there will be someone that doesn't like it on another. What can you do?

Don't let a few meetings stop you from joining. The more the merrier!:D

NewMariner
02/05/2003, 04:12 PM
I understand that you cant please all the people all the time..

I just dont understand the point of paying for a membership if I cant go to all the meetings:) The only ones I would be able to go to are the ones on the weekends...and how often are those?

Brad Ward
02/05/2003, 05:15 PM
"The only ones I would be able to go to are the ones on the weekends...and how often are those?"

Like I said in my other post, we did it 4 times last year.

"I just dont understand the point of paying for a membership if I cant go to all the meetings"

I would say our December meeting alone was well worth the $15 a year membership fee. We had a Saturday night Holiday Social with a catered meal, a Richard Harker Presentation at the Fort Worth Botanical Garden Center. Everyone who attended recieved a free ticket to win one of two $100 gift certificates from Jeff's Exotic Fish.

You are invited to come (no charge) to a meeting anytime you can and meet everyone. We will be glad to have you. It's a lot of fun, and I hope we see you there!

Brad

NewMariner
02/05/2003, 05:23 PM
I went to a meeting about a year ago...and I thought membership was 50 bux a year??? Am I wrong?

Another thing, how many "younger" reefers are there in DFWMAS? The meeting I went to was up in Plano? I believe, she had a great 300g predator tank. It was great to see but felt out of place because most of the attendants had a good 20-30 years of age on me...

I have no real problem with this...as I like to learn from the more "experienced", however, I just feel that I have more in common with people around my age(23) then I do with someone whos 53(my parents age:)

Brad Ward
02/05/2003, 08:21 PM
Only $15.

We have members in their teens, twenties thirties and of course the old farts like me. :D
I think we need more young folks too. If you join we'll have one more;) The one thing we all have in common is our love of marine aquariums.

ttyl,

Brad

David Corbett
02/05/2003, 11:27 PM
I haven't been to a meeting since MACNA :( but I will surely be at next weeks meeting at "Dallas World Aquarium":)

Brad

Will we get some behind the scenes glimpses? David

Brad Ward
02/06/2003, 10:43 AM
Hi David,

Been a coon's age for sure. Sorry you missed Harker. You would have liked the presentation.

About behind the scenes at the DWA meeting, Maybe;)

BTW, we have our own forum on our web site now.

ttys,

Brad

melev
02/09/2003, 12:53 AM
Maybe we have so many old farts is because they are the ones that can actually afford the hobby!! :p :p :p

NewMariner
02/09/2003, 03:27 AM
Maybe we have so many old farts is because they are the ones that can actually afford the hobby!!

LOL, I hope I didnt offend anyone as that wasnt my intent...Its good to have all the...hmm EXPERIENCED reefers...yea thats it...

BTW Melev...nice job on that sump...you want to build me one now:)

melev
02/09/2003, 03:49 AM
How come nobody wants to build there own dang sump? Grin

Actually, I should just open up a club shop with Brad, and be the sump builder. If I could make a living at it, I'd quit stripping at night!

:D

NewMariner
02/09/2003, 04:45 PM
If I could make a living at it, I'd quit stripping at night

Im willing to bet youd make more money at sump building then stripping:D

Technobuyer
02/10/2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by melev
If I could make a living at it, I'd quit stripping at night!

:D

LMAO!

Tony,

There are several younger (20's-30's) members active in DFWMAS. OTOH, since you've met me before, maybe I'm one of those "older ones" too... Man that's a depressing thought...

As Brad said, it's $15. I spent the first couple of years only making 2-3 meetings a year. But I still feel I got my $15 worth. I bet most people break even after their first raffle score! If you don't make money there, you definitely will in meeting like minded hobbyists, whom you can trade with. I hate to sound like Martha Stewart...but it's a good thing! :)

melev
02/10/2003, 04:13 PM
I hate to sound like Martha Stewart...

Old?

;)

NewMariner
02/10/2003, 04:28 PM
Duane....

No I wasnt specifically saying you....Your a pretty cool guy:) My wife though is...hmm...she feels out of place in peoples homes that are well off....She just doesnt feel comfortible for some reason. It doesnt bother me, but I do have to think about her....I wish she would get over it though...I may just have to leave her at home a few times:D

nvillacci
02/11/2003, 10:41 AM
we are not all as ancient as some of the members. Im 23 also, and even though I feel 35 at times, I can still hang with the younguns. Dont be afraid to come up and talk to members, even if they are old and grizzled like Brad :P

Nick

Technobuyer
02/12/2003, 09:39 AM
Tony,

This might not help with your scheduling issues, but this month's meeting is not in a person's home. It's at the Dallas World Aquarium:

February 12, 2003

Dallas World Aquarium
1801 N. Griffin St.
Dallas, TX 75202

NewMariner
02/12/2003, 11:11 PM
I take it its to late??? As its now 9:20 and I just got home about 15 mins ago:)

Howd the meeting go?

melev
02/13/2003, 06:11 AM
Tony, you missed a great meeting.

http://www.dfwmas.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=5;t=86

Marc