PDA

View Full Version : hi guys i'm new here

s13silvia
02/04/2003, 12:48 AM
just stopped by to say hello and possibly make some new friends here. i'm new to the SW fish thing and have been doing a lot of research lately. so far i have a 75g RR tank with about 50 lbs LR and around 70 lbs of LS. i'm building a fuge right now, but it won't be set up until later in the month.

anyhow you guys seem pretty friendly so maybe i'll attend one of your meetings sometime. :p

dadevil23335
02/04/2003, 03:04 AM
Let me be the first to welcome you to the SCMAS board. You'll fine that everyone is pretty helpful here as well as the main board. I attended my first meeting last month and had a great time and looking forward to this months.

Anyhow, sounds like your on the right track and taking your time. BTW, what are you planning on keeping, what lighting do you have so far?

s13silvia
02/04/2003, 03:24 PM
to tell you the truth i'm not even sure on what corals i'm gonna get into...i'm not ready for them right now since my tank hasn't been setup long enough. i'll most likely wait another year or so to get into starting a reef setup since i want to make sure my water is stable enough to keep them.

as for right now i just have 4 55W PC lights. i'm still weighing out the costs to see if its worth it to switch to MH lights. i have a long way to go for this tank. i'm gonna be ordering another 50 lbs of rock and another 40 lbs of sand for the tank. i can't wait, this hobby is addicting and almost as expensive as my other hobby (cars) :rolleyes:

Eric Boerner
02/04/2003, 06:30 PM
Nam, Hi. :)

I'd suggest Xenia as a starting coral. They grow pretty fast, especially with the lighting you have and are a very interesting first coral. Plus they act like macro algae and reduce nutrients in your tank. You could pick up a few stalks from a couple people in one of the clubs, and they'd grow pretty fast after a few months. Would give you some trading material for when you decide what kind of coral tank you want to develop.

HTH.

David P
02/04/2003, 09:51 PM
If I may make a suggestion, dont order all of that live sand. All you need is a little to seed your regualr sand and over time it will all be "live"
Gee that was pretty friendly, maybe your right about us:p

s13silvia
02/04/2003, 10:18 PM
david, yea i wasn't gonna really buy all that LS. i purchased my tank and all the equipment from a local guy who didn't have any time to take care of the tank. i got everything for $100 and the tank has was running for 3+ years. i still have the same sand and rock, just added some more to it. i was actually thinking about it today and i'm gonna try to find some fine sand to use. right now i have about 70lbs of caribsea aragonite reef sand which is not really that fine.

Xenia huh...i'll look into those

turtlespd
02/05/2003, 12:32 AM
anyone who ownes or knows about a S13 is welcomed in my book..

Konadog
02/05/2003, 02:02 AM
s13silvia, where are you located, I have xenia and shrooms looking for a place to go if you are anywhere near the LBC! :cool:

dadevil23335
02/05/2003, 02:08 AM
Nam, i've got a yellow fiji leather that will be a good starter, I'm located in Downey.

Konadog - we need to do some trading, you're not too far from me at all. What kind of corals do you keep?

Paul - I didn't know you know Carlos up in Rancho Cucamonga. I went over to his place to pick up a frag that i forgot to get on my last visit. I'm gonna have to check your tank out soon, see how it looks.

Konadog
02/05/2003, 02:16 AM
dadevil23335, you are close! I'm over in East LB by El Dorado Park. What I keep is usualy what ever I can trade for, pick up at a frag swap, or win in our club raffel :D I have mostly soft coral, some zoos, and a few LPS.

I have more fun trading than buying!

s13silvia
02/05/2003, 04:05 AM
THREAD HI JACKERS :mad:

hahah j/k guys thanks for the offers, but like i stated i'm not quite ready for any corals right now. i will keep you guys in mind for the future.

turtlespd- i've been selling a lot of parts off my integra and will most likely be selling it soon for a 240sx coupe. gonna do the usual with s13 front clip and sr20det motor. few other mods to keep it simple.

Joe Kelley
02/05/2003, 12:35 PM
Hi Nam,
Welcome to fantasy island! Try to make one of the meetings. Sounds like your taking it slow. That is real smart. Glad your here.

Joe

dadevil23335
02/05/2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by s13silvia
THREAD HI JACKERS :mad:
:D

Konadog - i'm near the 605/105 interchange. I keep mainly sps' with a few softies (yellow leather, brown leather, xenias) LPS, some zoos and blasto.

Nam - if you are thinking of going sps in the future, it'll prolly be best to just get the best equipments you can afford now, that you're gonna end up buying in the future. Also, keep checking the sale sections on all the forums and the recycler, you can find some really good deals on equipments. Good luck!

turtlespd
02/05/2003, 04:38 PM
S13..get rid of that Ricey integra.!! When you get a 240 let me know..i knowa few peeps that can do the swap.and of course i can paint it. I build imports for a living damn is it cool

Lynel.

You wanna stop by my place..hehehe many do..but i keep it on the low low..i dont have anything in my ta nk really. Only a fe w montiporas. Nothing fancy really.. Jp..when i got time np..most are frags though.

s13silvia
02/05/2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by turtlespd
S13..get rid of that Ricey integra.!!

hahah my integra is far from ricey...only cosmetic mod was a type r front lip. i used to drive through the canyons a lot, but haven't been there in a few months

GP
02/05/2003, 08:01 PM
Hey all!

I'm new to this thread as well as this board. It's nice to see that there are alot of people in this area that are into the lifestyle(not hobby). I look forward to talking to (and learning) from you all.

Gary

dadevil23335
02/05/2003, 08:10 PM
Welcome, Gary

What kind of system do you have running or planning on running?

David P
02/05/2003, 08:11 PM
ah, if your new and in So cal, goto fish clubs, SCMAS. There are a bunch of rogue reefers there and its a prety tight knit group that always help each other out.

GP
02/05/2003, 08:46 PM
dadevil,

I currently have a 150 gallon reef with assorted SPS's. I just got back from Jeffs with 3 boxes of FIJI premium. Great struff and great place (Jeff is a pretty cool guy). All you guys are right down the street from me. I live in Seal Beach.

Paul,
I would love to go the SCMAS meetings and look forward to meeting all you fine gentlemen. :)

Gary

Konadog
02/05/2003, 09:39 PM
GP, sounds like a nice tank. As for meetings go, we sit right in the middle of SCMAS and MASLAC. Either group is great, and joining one will be one of the best things you can do for yourself and your tank! The information and knowledge you will have access to is incredible, and you will learn what not to waist you money on, and get better deals on the things you do need to spend it on.

s13silvia
02/05/2003, 11:41 PM
hey David, i see your from valencia! i'm from west hills not too far from you.

so what exactly goes on at these meetings?

Zander
02/06/2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by s13silvia
hahah my integra is far from ricey...

how can an integra not be ricey... thats an oxymoron

it's all about the VeeDubs!!!

:D

turtlespd
02/06/2003, 01:11 AM
You guys are funny.

S13,

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Gp,

If you have nice sps im in..some pics would be nice..Joe kelly has a set up also..he was fragn like mad but i cant speak for him.

SdgtiVr6,

Hahah you are so right..in someways but a JDm integra always looks nice in Oem trim fashion. VW? lol..I like the look but hate the mechanics of the car. I build two that featured on the cover of Max power..one red TT and the other Audi a4 featured on Euro tuner. I still hate VW...

GP
02/06/2003, 03:40 AM
Hey Ken, I'm leaning towards SCMAS meetings as they are a little closer. Thanks for your advice!

Paul, When I start fraggin again, I'll let you know!

Gary

s13silvia
02/06/2003, 04:04 AM
haha honda haters...its all good i've been around for a while so i know how much things have changed.

sdgtivr6, i'm actually a big vw fan and i was gonna get a slc raddo a while back. anyways you ever go to the new dimensions show in norcal? i've gone the past two years and had a blast.

turtle, what shop do you work for? red tt? did it have some black rims? i might have seen that car before.

turtlespd
02/06/2003, 04:37 AM
i own a body shop ..Kustom import in Lapuente..got a nano there too..well untill teh summer anyways..

David P
02/06/2003, 08:12 PM
it's all about the VeeDubs!!!

:D [/B]
Damn Vee Dubs, we may have won the war but Hitler got his revenge!

Silvia, you gotta go to a MASLAC meeting. I know next week Larry who is a molecular scientist (?) is giving a speach, Im not sure on what.... they usually have very interesting speakers, Anthony Calfo, Scott Michaels, some guy who is an importer and I cant think of his name.... After a long speach there is a raffle where basically if you spend $10 on tickets, your almost guaranteed to walk away with something, ranging from thermomters and carbon all the way pc light fixtures. Last month there were like 3 or 4 clams and rose anemones!

Zander
02/07/2003, 11:27 PM
you gotta give vw/audi credit for their innovation- they really do think outside the lines when it comes to R&D.