PDA

View Full Version : Looking bad after top off.

musicsmaker
02/03/2003, 11:04 PM
I toped off my nano tank yesterday and am now having problems. My zoanthids are not opening fully today, and it is undoubtedly due to a sudden fall in specific gravity. Lets just say that I topped off much faster than I originally meant to. There are five different colonies in my tank, however only two of them look bad. All other corals in the tank are just as healthy looking as they have always been.

What I'm looking for here is anyone that has had similar experiance, and what the end result was. I need to know what I should be looking for interms of weather they could make it through or if they are likely to die. :( Also, is there anything I can do to help them make it throught this stressed out situation?

Diesel Man
02/04/2003, 12:05 AM
Check your ph. Zoos get rained on at low tide so its not the salinaty. Greg Plus I poor gallons in my 20long and they dont care at all till I poored in tap water one day. Took 7 days for them to open back up. Its hard to kill healthy zoos.

Eric Boerner
02/04/2003, 05:57 PM
If they're just closed up, don't worry about it. They'll open again within a few days. If they start to develop a white film on them while they're closed, you have cause for alarm. Start doing iodine dips. They should be OK anyway.

musicsmaker
02/04/2003, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the replies, and I'm happy to report that they are looking better. Its hard to kill healthy zoos. That's good to know. I'd hate to loose any of them. If they start to develop a white film on them while they're closed, you have cause for alarm. What exactly does it mean if they get a white film on them? Maybe I will find that out when I research iodine dips later tonight. :cool:

Project Reef
02/05/2003, 02:33 PM
I agree with Eric. They will open.

I've literally taken colonies of zoo's out of the water and rinsed them under tap water for 10-15 minutes only to have them open up bigger and better in a day or two.

These things are nearly impossible to kill. Through infection and predators are really the only way you can kill them.