PDA

View Full Version : fish selection for 20 gal.

kind reefer
02/03/2003, 06:33 PM
Hello to all the reefers out there,
I am trying to select two or three fish to go into my reef tank. I am looking for fish that will stay small and eat what the reef provides for them. I was thinking of a dwarf angel and/or a small clown fish with anemone. I want some fish with personalities.....no boring fish.

I would like to hear what your suggestions might be.

TJG
02/03/2003, 10:38 PM
I would ( and did in my 10 g) go with a small school of catalinas. I feed maybe once a week or so.

Other good ideas would be somthing like firefish or maybe some cardinals.... nething that will stay small and not eat things you're trying to keep alive will work ( so uless you are planing on feeding alot a angel is out)

AquaticFins
02/03/2003, 10:51 PM
Yeah, I second those Catalina gobies, as long as you're not going the clownfish/anemone route.

A couple firefish, a little basslet of some sort (I'm partial to the chalk), and maybe a trio of assorted small gobies (catalina, red-heads, etc) could probably make a pretty stunning display, too.

Could always pick up some damsels. A black velvet/oceanic damsel, a blue devil, an orangetail, maybe one more. Too many people just pass them by because of their rep as a beginner or cycling fish, but a few of them interacting in a small tank can be a very nice thing. Their personalities and quirks are all really showcased in a smaller tank like yours.

A twenty might be a little small for a dwarf angel to live off of, but I couldn't tell you for sure. The aformentioned fish groups would be just fine living off of an established twenty reef without supplementry feeding.

Flanders
02/04/2003, 08:42 AM
Gotta disagree - Catalina gobies are not a tropical fish. They won't last long at the temps most of us keep our tanks at.

cjm033
02/04/2003, 08:05 PM
bicolor blenny an awsome fish i have one in my 2.5 gallon he is great tons of personality hardy and looks awsome,Chris