PDA

View Full Version : Eric Borneman at the February Meeting!

Mushroom Boy
02/03/2003, 02:42 PM
The Puget Sound Aquarium Society is very pleased to present Eric Borneman for our February meeting! The meeting is scheduled for Saturday, February 22nd at Blue Sierra (in Issaquah), at 6pm. Eric will be making a presentation on coral biology at this event.

Due to the nature of this event, and the expense that the club is incurring to bring it to you, this will be a limited engagement meeting. Dues paying members of the club will be invited to attend the meeting at no cost. If you're not already a dues paying member, have no fear, you can join us at a nominal fee. To gain entry, you will be asked to either show your current membership card, or to pay at the door (a $10 entrance fee will be asked of all non-members. This entrance fee will also pay for membership through the rest of the club year - through August 31, 2003).

We'll see you all in a few weeks!!
Paul.

Gordo
02/03/2003, 08:53 PM
Can't wait!! I'm sure Jonas will be bringing in some great stuff too! :beer:
~Gordo~

Zack S
02/04/2003, 08:03 PM
I was wondering about guest like a friend would have to pay money or my dad?

MtnDewMan
02/04/2003, 11:27 PM
Zack,

Family and significant others are certainly welcome to join the member free of charge (analogous to a family type membership) ... however friends and such will likely be charged the $10 ... Normally our meetings do not require a "cover charge" but for events such as this, the money helps bring the guests to see us. That is also why we are saying that paying the entrance fee gives you membership for the rest of the year, so that the person will still get additional benefits from the entrance fee beyond the guest speaker ...

Hope this helps.

Zack S
02/04/2003, 11:28 PM
ok thanks:D

ijji
02/05/2003, 12:35 PM
I was really looking forward to this month's meeting. Too bad it's happening on the only weekend I will not be in town:( :(

Mushroom Boy
02/06/2003, 08:05 PM
That's definitely a bummer that you won't be able to make it. Hopefully, someone will be taking pictures for you at least.

Again, we are very excited for this event. PSAS has been working in cooperation with Blue Sierra to make this happen. It should be a great event!

Zack S
02/07/2003, 02:44 AM
invite sent out?

Gordo
02/07/2003, 10:51 AM
Expect it in the next couple of days. :)

~Gordo~

ijji
02/08/2003, 12:32 AM
If Eric Borneman is going to speak, does he have a policy against video taping the meeting? It would be a nice assest to the club library. (plus, I'd get to see it:D )

Mushroom Boy
02/11/2003, 08:38 PM
Don't know if he has a problem with it or not. Hopefully someone will bring one (hint hint) and we can ask him then.

Meeting's less than 2 weeks away!

Paul.

miamidolphins
02/11/2003, 08:43 PM
the only bad thing about this meeting is the location, that store sucks

Zack S
02/11/2003, 08:53 PM
why?:confused:

MtnDewMan
02/11/2003, 08:54 PM
miamidolphins,

I'm sorry you feel this way about the location. The club has an excellent relationship with this store. They have been very supportive in our endeavours and especially for helping to bring this event into existence.

I wanted to point out to others that the PSAS club does not share the same opinion.

If you do feel that strongly about the store, it is your option to not attend the meeting due to it's location.

shaunmcm
02/11/2003, 08:56 PM
i think it's pretty good. they have tons of wet and dry inventory. i agree that sometimes the tanks look a little rundown and the help can be unpredictable depending on who is there, but overall, i think it's in the top 4 in the seattle area. heck, i bought an awesome 4 inch maxima for 75 bucks total.

ijji
02/11/2003, 11:19 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinon. If they want/don't want to shop somewhere, that is there choice. I'll use this as a great excuse to plug the video taping the discussion idea. That way, if someone does not attend due to their personal consumer preferences, they can still absorb an invaluable piece of information. :D

NOWICKI
02/12/2003, 02:10 AM
I will also bring my digicam and if we can record it, I will post it online. Anyone else bringing a digital cam? We can collaborate and make a much more visually appealing video. PM me or e-mail me.

Will there be book signings??

See you there,
Ryan

Gordo
02/12/2003, 02:14 AM
There will be plenty of books on hand for purchase and Eric will be signing them. I believe Blue Sierra will have them at a discounted price, but I'm not 100% sure. I bet if you already have the book you could get it signed as well.

~Gordo~

miamidolphins
02/12/2003, 12:43 PM
MNTDEWMAN

I agree that they may have supported the club however they have also screwed club members over, and as you are aware there are members other than me that have had problems with this store.
I think that throwing out a member for trying to use the bathroom is absurd. I'll bet they wont throw anyone out that night for using the bathroom when there pockets are full of cash.
It is my opinion that you should also consider members experiences(bad) with this store when making the decision on where the meetings are held, I truely think that if you were the person thrown out of the store we would not be meeting there.

And just for the record, I was not the person trying to use the restroom, my problem with them was a completely seperate issue.

I do realize that you can't fight city hall, but I do have an advantage as a consumer, that is by spending my money where I choose and it most definately will not be there.
As for other members reading this post, I do think that people should stick together on matters like this. When a store is completely in the wrong. Although each of you may not have had a problem with them, I think that you should be aware of how they treat other members.
No offense intended, but I will bash this store whenever I get the chance, and to minimize what they have done to local members because they have supported bringing in a speaker makes no sense to me, lets not forget they are not doing it for charity they will be making $$$$$$$ off this event, which as a business they should (just not mine)

MtnDewMan
02/12/2003, 01:51 PM
Thanks for your opinion ... I hope that more members in the future will get more involved in club activities, decisions, etc ... maybe even become part of the board to help make these difficult decisions.

And by the way, I have been refused bathroom use at this store in the past. And yes, there will be mutual benefits at this location, both for the club and for the store. I think we all realize that.

I for one plan on having a good time and am willing to bet 75 others will also have a good time as well.

Hope to see you there.

miamidolphins
02/12/2003, 02:15 PM
I am sure that all that attend will have a great time, however it is not because of where it will be held. And refusing to let someone use the restroom is a liitle different than throwing them out of the store for trying to use it. I think its great that we are getting respected speakers to offer their time at club functions, and hopefully I will get to see Eric speak in the future.
I do think that the club should take into account the way vendors treat their customers when planning events, I have spoken to 2 other members besides myself that have had bad experiences at this store, and I am sure there are more out there.
I do realize that you and the board spend a lot of time planning these events, I think that you all do a great job and spending your own time to run the club speaks for itself. I would just hope that as a significant member of the club that you would take bad member experiences into account in the future.
I think that more consumers should ban together when stores are clearly out of line, its the only weapon we have in holding them accountable.
I made the owner aware when he basically stole $500 from me that I would spread the word, and I will.
Just remember if they can treat other members poorly than they can do it to you also.

MtnDewMan
02/12/2003, 02:24 PM
Thanks once again for your input, it was duely noted the first time and has been conveyed to the rest of the PSAS board at that time ...

shaunmcm
02/12/2003, 04:21 PM
i can't possibly make my own decision without a decent explanation of the situation. there's been no attempt to tell what happened except for slinging slander around this board. for every accusation you've made there is an equally valid explanation (and you didn't even give an adequate explanation of your side for that matter!). frankly, if it were my business and the bathroom were in the back room i would want you to ask permission to go in there. i wouldn't want anyone walking around my computers, rolodex, ordering forms, return items, cash deposits, etc. i ALWAYS ask to use the bathroom if it's in an area that is off the retailers main floor. i do this so they don't think i'm doing questionable things. i'm sorry to further fuel this fire, but maybe you were in the wrong when at that store. i'm sure you don't want to think that way, but hey it's possible. i'm not claiming you were wrong, just that perhaps you did something that made them nervous. based on your one sided explanation i can't see the entire picture and can't make up my own mind. oh, and how the heck did they cost you $500 bucks? something else you threw out there without any resemblance of an explanation.

i stick to my claim that blue sierra is a well run reef/fish retailer. they aren't perfect, but heck neither are the other store's in this region. i will continue to shop there and support this talk because of the venue.

Mushroom Boy
02/12/2003, 04:25 PM
I don't have a problem with people expressing their opinions of a store, product or whatever, however, I do not feel that this is the proper place for this type of discussion. Every business, EVERY business, has some people who are displeased with the service, or experience they've encountered with it.

The intent of this thread is to promote what we are hoping will be a fabulous meeting with a highly regarded expert in the reefing community. Blue Sierra has graciously stepped up to the plate and offered their financial support in helping bring this event to the members of the club. For that, we thank them. Thank you Blue Sierra!!!

If anyone has a problem with a certain venue, please take it up with a board member of the club by private message or email. The public bashing of a planned event really doesn't serve anyone (neither the club, nor the business that we've partnered with). The contact information for the board members can be found at the PSAS site, http://www.thepsas.org. Also, there is a vendor's feedback forum on Reef Central if you'd like to voice your opinion (good or bad) about dealings with a local shop.

Having said all that, I believe that the feedback from our members is very important. After all, it's the members of the club that make it great. Without your feedback and input, we wouldn't know what to plan and what people are interested in. Elections are coming up in April and if anyone would like to see changes with how things are run, or who we affiliate with, that would be a perfect opportunity to step up and run for a spot on the board.

Please, let's put this to rest.
Paul.

miamidolphins
02/12/2003, 04:46 PM
There is no decision to make, I think you should shop where you feel comfortable, if thats this particular store than by all means shop. I however have that same ability and refuse to shop there, as stated earlier in my post I am not the person involved in the bathroom incident, but regardless of the incident you dont throw someone out for using your restroom.
In my case I inquired about a tank that they had for sale in a package, the breakdown said tank $500 I asked the employee if they would sell the tank alone and was told yes, since the tank is 8ft long I needed to measure the space and after I realised that it would fit I called back 2 days later to tell them to hold it for me I would pick it up that weekend and that I would give them a cc to hold it for me. I then went to pick it up and during the payment transaction another employee told me that I could not buy the tank alone, the package price was $1400 and that he would have to call the owner. An hour later they called me and stated that the tank alone was $1500 acoording to the owner which is $100 more than the package. I live 40 miles from the store so these trips are not around the corner from me, I ended up buying the tank for $1000 because I had already cut holes in my wall etc. and I could not get another tank that size in a reasonable timeframe. I felt cheated at the time, wa sthe tank worth $1000 yes for sure however I was told by 2 seperate employees that the tank was $500 and it could be sold seperate. Its not the $500 only, its the way the owners handled the matter over the phone with me.
I will not get into the 3rd persons horror story, but as a business owner myself and as a consumer I most definately have the right to expect a certain level of treatment. I don't expect people that I don't know to stop shopping there, but my experience with them has caused close friend to stop buying from them so I have made an impact no matter how small.
And if there is no downside to poor customer service than people like Barry at clamsdirect have no incentive to give excellent service(and he does)
Sorry for the long post but you asked, and I hope that you continue to have better luck than I have had with that store

miamidolphins
02/12/2003, 04:48 PM
I will put it to rest, sorry I was posting mine during your post.

MtnDewMan
02/12/2003, 05:45 PM
Thank you Paul for your input on what this original post is all about, to provide a great speaker of Eric Borneman to the club and the gratitude we have to those who help us put on such an event (whoever they may be for any event we have now and in the future).

Now on to Eric Borneman and a successful meeting in a week.

ijji
02/12/2003, 05:46 PM
Don't forget to videotape it:D :D

Mushroom Boy
02/12/2003, 08:42 PM
We're going to leave the video taping decision up to Eric. I like your persistence, though :D :D :D.

Also, in case you haven't checked it out lately, there will be special deals available the night of the meeting. Check the PSAS site for further details.

Paul.

Mushroom Boy
02/14/2003, 08:35 PM
Up to the top...

SlowBoat
02/15/2003, 01:46 AM
So who is planning on getting together at the Issaquah Brew House for some liquid refreshements before the meeting next Saturday?

Zack S
02/15/2003, 01:56 AM
how old u have to be? lol:p

MtnDewMan
02/15/2003, 01:57 AM
I will probably be there

:beer:

Gordo
02/15/2003, 01:58 AM
What time do they open? :D I'll be there for sure!

~Gordo~

christyf5
02/15/2003, 06:13 PM
Where is it located?? And do they serve food?? We may have to stop there after our marathon tour down ;)

Christy :)

MtnDewMan
02/15/2003, 09:20 PM
Christy,

I believe it is near the cross street just north of the store. Must not be more than a block or so from the store.

So who is on your list for tank tours and store tours????

christyf5
02/15/2003, 09:24 PM
So far I have Aquarium Concepts, Below Sea Level, Saltwater City and of course Blue Sierra for LFS and for tanks, yours and Paul M's. Mike O'Brien did get back to me but he wasn't sure as he had to babysit someone (?). Anyway, it looks like its gonna be a full day.

MtnDewMan
02/15/2003, 09:26 PM
Excellent ... That will be a full day I am sure ... As the day gets closer, shoot me a note to give me an idea on when you will be by my place, I assume I am the first stop :)

You have my number too in case you need it.

christyf5
02/15/2003, 09:28 PM
Yes you are the first stop. I'm still trying to get this group organized but I'm hoping we'll be there around 11. I have your number so I'll call you when we leave Vancouver (if its not too early) otherwise I'll just call you when we're about halfway or so.

Mushroom Boy
02/16/2003, 01:44 AM
Christy,

Did I get you my number? I can't remember. I'll email it to you if I didn't already. Let me know. From the sounds of it, it would make sense to go to Chuck's, then Aquarium Concepts, then my house, then Below Sea Level. I live about 2 miles south of Aquarium Concepts and 2 miles north of Below Sea Level. Is Deb coming with you?

Looking forward to the meeting. We've got 77 yes responses as of tonight!!!

Paul.

MtnDewMan
02/16/2003, 03:46 AM
This is going to be a good event for sure ... Likely a record breaker for us :)

Sweettoothbear
02/16/2003, 09:50 AM
I'll be #78.

SlowBoat
02/16/2003, 11:58 AM
Looks like having the parking garage behind the library is going to be helpful for this event.

MtnDewMan
02/16/2003, 12:55 PM
Have you responded to the Evite sweettooth? Are you on our distribution? If not on the distribution, shoot me a note with your real name and email address and we will get you on the list.

There is a parking garage behind the library? That is a good thing to note. Thanks

christyf5
02/16/2003, 02:07 PM
Hey Paul,
Yup I have your phone number. And yup you fit right in between Aquarium concepts and Below Sea Level.

Theres Deb (EmilyB), Adam(One_Divided), Rich(sumpfinfishe), Wendell(zulu_principle) and me comin'.

Woohoo! Only 6 more sleeps!

MtnDewMan
02/16/2003, 03:06 PM
And the countdown begins :) :):celeb2:

Mushroom Boy
02/18/2003, 09:02 PM
4 :)

ijji
02/18/2003, 09:08 PM
I'll be beach-combing all day, so I suppose that is consolation enough. Enjoy the meeting everyone. Especially Eric's talk!!

Mushroom Boy
02/19/2003, 08:07 PM
3 :strooper:

christyf5
02/21/2003, 06:59 PM
1!
http://www.crazypics.de/smilies_froehlich/froehlich001.gif

Zack S
02/22/2003, 09:15 PM
40 minutes!!!!!:rollface: :rollface: :rollface: :mixed: :mixed: :mixed: :D :D

shaunmcm
02/23/2003, 03:41 PM
awesome time ! ! thanks guys ! ! !

Zack S
02/23/2003, 09:17 PM
yeah was a lot of fun hows that sps coral?

MtnDewMan
02/23/2003, 09:26 PM
Was a great time ... anyone with pictures email me some so I can put them on the PSAS web site ...

The coral is no longer around Zack ... sorry ...

Zack S
02/23/2003, 09:28 PM
no not that one I meant shaunmcm's one lol sorry

daneel
02/24/2003, 02:55 AM
o.k., first of all, i will start out by saying that I WORK at
Blue sierra,i am not a manager,and i dont make decisions about store policy.i would like to say a few things about about your
mud slinging.

THE BATHROOM
just as someone else mentioned, the bathroom is located in an
extremely sensitive area in the back room, not only is the safe
back there, but all of our overstock, quarentine tanks,and
control room for the main fish systems. it is clearly marked
"NO PUBLIC RESTROOM" and "EMPLOYEES ONLY" on the door
to the back room. so why WOULDNT i throw out someone who
A. cant read, and B. didnt even bother to ask permission to
enter an obviously sensitive area. do we look stupid?

THE TANK
no one forced you to buy anything,so why did you pay the extra
$500 ? because you probably went home, got on line , went to every acrylic company you trust and got a quote on that size
tank and realized that even at $1000 the tank was about HALF
the cost! further more, when we create a package deal the price on the items in that package does not transfer over when you buy a SINGLE item from that package. again, how stupid do i look?

so in closing, would you like some cheese with that whine?

p.s. we now allow people who ask us nicely to use the restroom
as long as they dont smell funny and look like they cook skunk
in their spare time.

Mushroom Boy
02/24/2003, 07:00 PM
This thread was not intended to be a bickering contest of any kind. Please, let's not let it turn into that. Has any of this fighting helped PSAS, Blue Sierra, or any of the individuals involved? Daneel, IMO, you're doing a real disservice to your store by posting something like that, and while I can't speak for Jonas, I'm sure he wouldn't want to see something like this in Blue Sierra's name. The original slamming of the store was also uncalled for and addressed in prior responses, and does not need to be brought up again.

The meeting this past Saturday was fabulous. Let's leave it at that and move on.

I think this thread has run its course, and since the meeting is behind us at this point, let's move on to bigger and better meetings and good times in the future.

Thank you.
Paul Merkling

JohnL
02/24/2003, 11:10 PM
[flamealert]

ijji
02/24/2003, 11:36 PM
Did anyone videotape the meeting? Audio tape? Transcripts available? I hate to think I missed such a great meeting!!!