PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a Witness.....Er, id please?

dragon0121
05/02/2000, 03:05 PM
I've got 4 of these that hitchhiked on my Florida live rock. These guys are cleaning machines, they move fast and leave nothing but clean rock behind them. http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=3740

Larry,
Somebody posted this site to put pictures up free. Thought that would be better than wasting your space, I'll just waste somebody elses :D . http://www.momentoffame.com

[This message has been edited by dragon0121 (edited 05-02-2000).]

Mr Hanky-Tanky
05/02/2000, 03:29 PM
Hi
It's a keyhole limpet.
I also have a few in my tank. Love them.
That's all i know :)

dragon0121
05/02/2000, 03:39 PM
Thanks Mr. H-T.

anybody ever heard of these things being available for purchase. Some of mine are over 1" long, they seem to have a fast growth rate.

StarTraveler
05/02/2000, 03:42 PM
I have found 3 about 1/2" in my tank off of Fla rock as well, but have noticed another 3-4 very small ones in the last couple of days as well. I lvoe mine !

JSC
05/02/2000, 03:59 PM
I have a ton of them (limpets) ranging from very small to almost two inches. They have been breeding and thriving in my tanks for over 4 years. They continue to breed and I have seen mass spawnings several times. The only negative I have seen is that ocassionally they will eat algae off the silicon that holds the tank togethor and in the process eat the silicon as well! My old 58"s corners were so chewed up after a few years that I was afraid it was going to have a blow-out. I still have them in my 125 but now I clean the algae off the silicon and they have not done much chewing.

CaptainMac
05/02/2000, 08:09 PM
dragon,
Like JSC, I had a couple hitchhike in about 4 years ago. Have never been without since then. Interestingly, despite numerous witnessed spawn, they never seem to get out of control numbers wise. Pehaps it's a sign of the force :D Mine have found that a Magnum cannister filter is a fine place to spend their early childhood.
Cap'n

simon
05/03/2000, 07:10 AM
id be careful and watch them. i had a friend who had the same experience as you did, get some from Florida rock. he said they cleaned house, so i took one and witnessed it eating my acros dry! no kidding.
anyways, just keep an eye out
loosbrew

dragon0121
05/03/2000, 07:32 AM
Now that wouldn't be cool :( . I currently only have softies, but, :D the plan is to put SPS into the big tank and I wouldn't want some stupid snail munchin' on my Acropora.