PDA

View Full Version : Help with IDing this Macroalgae

rherron
02/02/2003, 10:07 PM
Hereit is....

I like how it looks but not sure what I should do if one morning I look in the tank and it's taken over. :rolleyes:

http://www.xecu.net/ray/Unknownalgae.jpg

Gary Majchrzak
02/03/2003, 02:48 PM
Ray, it looks like it might be a new crop of Ulva , or 'sea-lettuce'. Rabbitfish and Tangs usually devour the stuff- I bet there are none in there with that macroalgae, right?

rherron
02/03/2003, 03:02 PM
Actually I have a Yellow and Regal Tang in the tank.

They don't seem interested at all in the stuff.

I'll let it grow for another week and post another picture .... just to be sure.

kevino
02/04/2003, 10:35 PM
it is a type of ulva

rherron
02/04/2003, 10:46 PM
ok ..... so lets officially say it's Ulva.

Is that a good thing it's growing unchecked in the tank or a bad thing.

kevino
02/05/2003, 09:23 AM
I would keep it there for a bit, and if you don't give the tang anything else to eat, it should quickly adapt to it.

rherron
02/05/2003, 09:39 AM
hmmm....

I have a Hippo tang that pretty much eats everything I put in the tank. The yellow tang is not too far behind him, although he's quite a bit smaller.
They both still eat anything that I would be feeding the flame angel and green chromis.

Any suggestions about that?

kevino
02/05/2003, 09:48 AM
my yellow tang is a picky eater - it tries to make me believe it hates what I feed it, but when I am not looking, it eats the ulva. I am serious - I once paid $100 for 5-6 different species of macro algae from Hawaii. The stuff they call green tang haven is a form of Ulva. It appears your variety attaches to rocks, while the other kinds I have seen are free floating.
if it gets out of controll, you can take the rock out of the tank and pick it off. Perhaps purchase a green emerald crab (they are like $5 from the local fish store). They will go for it, I am sure.
hope that helps.

What are your phosphate levels? Nitrate?
if you cut the food for the algae, they will slow down.

Gary Majchrzak
02/05/2003, 02:53 PM
I think that Ulva is gorgeous. I'm guessing that the rock it's growing on is a relatively new addition to your aquarium......
I highly doubt it will take over your tank, but if it grows good for you I know there is a demand for macroalgae. Check out the new 'Marine Plants' Forum on RC.

rherron
02/05/2003, 06:03 PM
I really like how it looks also.

I have quite a bit in my refugium that is free floating. It's already much larger and does look like the same stuff although it's growing from the rocks.

It seems to be catching on, several rocks now have it growing on them.

What's odd is the Ulva in my refugium is starting to turn white in places while all the other macroalgae is looking great.

You think it'll be ok for the fish and tank if I don't feed them for a couple days. Hoping the tangs will get hungry enough to start eating it.

Gary Majchrzak
02/06/2003, 01:18 AM
Judging from the macroalgae in your pic, skipping fish feedings for a day or two won't hurt your Tangs.