PDA

View Full Version : what alge is this

clamlvr
02/02/2003, 04:17 PM
What kind of alge is this it is a PITA. it is spreading on my walls and rocks how do I get rid of it.

K. Lee
02/02/2003, 04:38 PM
Dictyota spp.. Capable of easy reproduction by fragmentation. :(

I haven't had problems with it in my tank, but, that is probably because of the Bryopsis spp. I have. :( :mad:

Most fish won't eat it of the algae eaters because it has toxins in it according to E. Borneman. I've heard a hungry Naso spp. (Lipstick Tang?) will eat it, but, you need a huge tank for a Naso. :(

clamlvr
02/02/2003, 04:46 PM
I have 2 tangs in my 110 gl a happatus and a Yellow tang they do not even go near it. any Ideas on who or what will eat this type of alge.

K. Lee
02/02/2003, 05:02 PM
See above, I changed my post, and included more information.

clamlvr
02/02/2003, 08:46 PM
well if there is no other way to get rid of this alge I will have to go NASO hunting on monday. I will be upgrading to a 300 gal this summer so his size should not be an issue I hope.:D

Jefe12234
02/04/2003, 05:45 AM
I once brought some macroalgae back from Costa Rica. It looked just like that (and other pictures of Dictyota that I've seen), so I can only assume it was Dictyota. I put it in my tank hoping it would grow. I noticed my queen conch nibbling on it that night. The next day it was gone. I was so mad at that conch, but maybe it was a blessing in disguise now that I hear what a pain this stuff is.

Of course this could have just been a fluke as well. Something to consider anyways.

-Chris