PDA

View Full Version : A snorkle on the ningaloo

00 MooRRii 00
02/01/2003, 09:59 PM
Just thought i would share my exeperiences while snorkeling on the ningaloo, about 2 months ago.

We stayed for 10 days along the ningaloo reef sea kayaking along the coast, stopping every 2-3km for a snorkle or where ever looked promising.

The first couple snorkles were fairly uneventful but fun none the less. The 3rd snorkle we went on we managed to see quite a few blue spot rays, which were suprisignly large (compared to what LFS owners would have you believe) and a overly friendly turtle which gave me a free ride. Around the 3rd or fourth day we stopped at some oyster stacks which were known for their good snorkeling, and also for being notorious for hacking swimmers up :eek1: . Saw a number of large mangrove jacks (which i didnt know could tolerate such high salt levels).

The next few days were pretty average due to poor weather. On the last day we were snorkeling around a large reef which was fun except for the very strong current. When myself and a friend spotted a large tail comming out from under the reef, after closer inspection we realized that this was no reef shark but a 3.5-4 meter tiger shark! which was suprisignly docile compared to their reputation heer in australia which happily swam away with no signs of agression.

I highly recommend diving/ snorkeling on the ningaloo to anyone who has the opportunity!

Alex