PDA

View Full Version : Outline of my thesis project (take a look)

grim
01/29/2003, 09:33 PM
Came across this forum a few days ago, decided to post some info up for anyone interested. I'm not sure if anyone still reads this forum, but after I'm done with my thesis I'd love to work with you guys on your project.

I'm doing my software engineering masters thesis project on an aquarium data monitoring and control system. It is a programmable aquarium management system that serves as both a real time data acquisition system and a device controller. It's built using low cost commercial-the-shelf hardware (DA/IO by LabJack), and runs under the Windows OS. Let me offer up a little smackerel of info (I promise to expand a bit later on).

20 Output Device Controls (Pumps, Heaters, Wavemakers, Lighting, 12v devices, moon lighting, anything).

8 Analog Input Channels for Data Acquisition. The only probe currently supported is temperature. pH to follow shortly, than perhaps Salinity and/or DO, etc. Other sensors can be programmed in (photoresistors, float switches, etc).

Sunrise/Set times are user definable as either preset times or by offering up a set of coordinates (lat and long), and I'll calculate the proper sun time cycles and add or subtract whatever offset you would like. The same goes for lunar cycles.

Preset or Randomized Wavemaker controller with feeding schedules to temporarily disable powerheads/pumps.

The system will display sensor data real-time on the connected PC, as well as publish that sensor data to a web service on the Internet. This will allow the user to remotely monitor their system by logging into the web service (website). Webcam support is built in for those folks that can't stand to be away for too long :).

Set of warnings built in (currently only based on temperature). Emails or annoying noises (your preference). Other warnings/triggers based on sensors will be added when I get the sensors ironed out (ozone controller, pH controller, etc).

Hope you guys enjoy!

http://www.jamesbednar.com/controller.jpg

Currently in a prototype phase, I don't believe I'll take this to the level of a commercial venture.. I'll make the system public and free for any DIY'ers that would like to try it out. The hardware required for a standard system would run under $150 (obviously no PC included (or fancy probes either)).

Thanks!
jb

cuc
02/04/2003, 01:24 PM
Excellent! That looks great grim. I would love to try and make one especially if it only costs 150 bucks. If you are willing to share the plans and parts list I would like to have it so I can build one for myself. Have you tested all the functions with you tank yet?

pioneerlog
02/05/2003, 01:03 AM
Count me in too. I'm just getting back into reefs, and cant afford an expensive controller, but have always wished for a DIY model. Is there anything I can do in preparation for or to help?

bstreib
02/07/2003, 03:20 PM
Hi All,
I guess I'm the last of this old group still working making a DIY controller a reality. I would love to work a system like this. I have lots of DIY sensor plans. I have been limited to X-10 control up now for I/O control and use a stand alone data logger for analog data collection.
Grim, does your software support table look up for values to be used in the I/O module? I'm working on a lunar tidal surge simulator but current X-10 software doesn't support table look up so values have to entered manually everyday. What a pain. I would be willing to share plans, thoughts and ideas with anyone wishing to persue a DIY controller through to a finished working design.
Thanks Bill

grim
02/07/2003, 06:25 PM
Good news!

Ran through the first night/day with the laptop controlling the lighting and wavemakers. I'm a pessimist so I'll start slow and eventually move more functionality to the system.. I thought that my prototype box with 8 outlets would be enough, not quite. The design is solid and works great, so I'll be building a more 'finished' rack mount box containing some 16 outlets in the next week or so.

Everything looks good, I've been fiddling with the wavemaker code to come up with something flexible enough to be useful to everyone.. I'm running 2 AQ 802 and 2 AQ 402 PH's currently, I've got it currently configured to run a maximum of 2 powerheads simultaneously. It cycles every 15 minutes to keep everything moving.

Here's a shot of the laptop I'm using, kind of a half-a*s installation at this point, but hell, I'm still working on this.. Later on the computer will be located remotely.
http://www.jamesbednar.com/aqualaptop.jpg

Here's a shot of the controller box and rats nest of wiring that'll probably electrocute me one day.. Again, I'm prototyping (great excuse for being messy).
http://www.jamesbednar.com/aquamess.jpg

Overall it works great, I can't wait to finish everything up and clean up the mess of wiring.

jb

grim
02/07/2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by bstreib
Grim, does your software support table look up for values to be used in the I/O module? I'm working on a lunar tidal surge simulator but current X-10 software doesn't support table look up so values have to entered manually everyday. What a pain. I would be willing to share plans, thoughts and ideas with anyone wishing to persue a DIY controller through to a finished working design.
Thanks Bill

Sure, I don't see why I couldn't code something in. It would be relatively easy to load up a lookup table based on an ASCII text file or a table in a database.

jb

cuc
02/10/2003, 12:12 PM
Looks like my house with all those wires, good to hear that it is working grim. Let us know how it performs.

bucaroos
02/10/2003, 12:33 PM
Looks sweet man! I am about to embark on my own controller. I'd love to share ideas with you sometime. I am a electrical engineering grad finishing up my thesis right now. If I wasn't into biomedical stuff, I'd be right along with you doing that same project. Great idea.

bucaroos
02/10/2003, 12:44 PM
What languages can you use to program that labjack? Can't seem to find that anywhere.

grim
02/12/2003, 10:29 PM
Still working hard on this, I've got until the 23rd to get the bulk of it done (at least enough to meet my requirements documents).

Anyway, I've been working on the web monitoring tool lately. I've got most of the guts in place (back-end database, objects, etc), all I've got to do is make it look pretty.. I threw together a basic HTML page to let everyone monitor my tank status in real-time via the web.

http://www.jamesbednar.com/lookup.asp

Like I said, it's not pretty, but it's all there! Take a look!

Jim

grim
02/12/2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by bucaroos
What languages can you use to program that labjack? Can't seem to find that anywhere.

Well, they offer two programming APIs, the DLLs themselves, and an ActiveX encapsulation of those DLLs. So, simple answer, VB, Visual C, etc. Complex answer, anything that can access the Win32 API. Not sure about Linux (etc) support.

jb

alligator
03/04/2003, 11:17 PM
How is this coming along? I'm still interested in this project, but having a hard time coming up with anything.

I'm interested in finding out more about this. Can you tell me more?