PDA

View Full Version : Coral Locations

csanchez77
01/29/2003, 05:39 PM
Eric:

Questions (2) at the end, but first a brief explanation.

I got your book, "Corals" a month or so ago but did not get to read till I went to Peru (6 hour flight) and I must say it is a great book, one of my best buys (the other being Natural Aquariums by Tullock)

I plan on setting up an 85 tub aquarium (largest I can fit in my condo) that will be a Caribean Biotope, mid-depth (50-100 feet) fore reef, mostly sofites.

My interests are more with the deep water fish (but please dont tell that to anyone here cause I would hate to be banned :)), but I wish to supplement with corals native to the area in the line of polyps and shrooms, then later down the line, some gorgonias and sponge.

Please do not confuse this with a true deep fore reef or a "cryptic zone" that is becoming a trend on this board (skysdale -sp? - has done some excellent research).

My question is, where can I get more detailed information on genus (species if possible) of the polyps, shrooms, gorgonia and sponge relative to their depths? Your book provided some really good info on the care and orgin (ocean, sea) to most of these creatures but Id like to where in the water column some of these items would typically be found.

Second question is what other corals would you recommend (hard or soft) that I could also look at for this biotope.

Thanks
Chris Sanchez

BTW, the fish I wish to keep are pygmy angels (mated pair), swisgaurd basslet, flamefish (cardinal) and a harem of royal gramma - I realize the blackcap is the true deep water but I think the royal gramma is more striking and they are cooperative in groups, plus they are deep enough to be a grey area.

EricHugo
02/08/2003, 07:30 AM
Best idea I can give you is to purchase two books - Reef Creatures and Reef Corals by Paul Humann - that will probably answer all the questions you have!

csanchez77
02/10/2003, 10:03 AM
Thanks..will check them out