PDA

View Full Version : i need help for my 15g cube

artie
01/27/2003, 06:45 PM
hi im want to set up my tank soon its a 15g cube i want to put live rock some inverts, marron clown maybe one or two smaller fish.i would like to put some mushroom rock feather duster and maybe a sea anemone that things i would like to have maybe not all but some.ok first question is how deep of a sandbed do i need to have .next what type of skimmer and what else do i need to get the tank started besides lighting. now for lighting what type of fixture should i get for this 15g cube tank pleas let me know i need help.thanks very much i know on here there alot of peolpe that could help me

clowdy
01/28/2003, 05:37 AM
you only need and inch or so sand bed, most people agree that a DSB is not really a good idea in a nano, it has the potential to crash such a small system. also i would't worry about a skimmer unless your system looks like it is not doing well after a couple of months. the beauty of a nano is that you can usually avoid all the expensive equiptment because the volume of water is very manageable. nutrient export is just done with weekly 10% water changes. also a word of caution about anemonies, they walk around alot and in a small tank with small pieces of live rock, they tend to knock things over. you can totally keep one but make sure you glue your rocks together or avoid complex rock formations that will likely get messed up with the animal's movement. if you are looking for info on starting up a new nano, go to nanoreef.com. it is a great site and should answer all your questions.

artie
01/28/2003, 02:41 PM
since u say i dont need a skimmer should i use a filter let me know

clowdy
01/28/2003, 10:03 PM
filtration in a nano is really a matter of personal preference. i'm a bit of a purist when it comes to nanos. the filtration is really done by the live rock. i just have a hang on back filter with a sponge in it mostly for extra water flow. as long as you have plenty of live rock and circulation you don't really have to have a filter. but keep in mind that this is all based on having only a few fish (no more than 3 in a 15g). if you try to have more you will need more filtration and you will still likely have some trouble with nitrates. i think everyone will agree that the key to a sucessful nano is the regular water changes. also as a piece of advice, if you do choose to have a filter stay away from bioballs. they are just a nitrate factory in a nano. do a search in the nano forum for skimmers and you'll get plenty of debates about the need for one or not. same with filters. my advice is read as much as you can and then decied from there. the fact is many people have had success with nanos with AND without filters/skimmers.