PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Percs.

max628
02/01/2001, 08:20 AM
My tank has been up about 4-6 months.I recently took back my blue Damsels and traded them for two very pretty very small false percs. They would not eat, finally one died while I was out of town. My wife bought two more a little bigger but not as colorful. They would not even come out of the rocks to eat or anything one was killed while moving the rocks around. The other stays with its head shoved into a small cave under some live rock. The leftover from the original pair stays with it only to come out to eat. It eats brine shrimp only wont touch the flake food. I believe the bashfull one is not long for this world it seems to be getting weaker IMO.Ive never seen it eat and it stays under the rock with only its tail sticking out. I know percs dont swim much but is this natural behavior.

Carlos
02/02/2001, 01:43 AM
Can you post some water parameters of your tank. Also, give us some more details about your setup as what other fish you have in there.

That way we can better help you.

Carlos

max628
02/02/2001, 02:53 PM
Its a 55 with 60 lbs Aragonite sand about 7 lbs of live rock.I have an emperor "the emperor" bio wheel. plus a small wet dry with nothing in but plastic army men in place of the bio balls. The only other occupants are 1 black molly left over from cycling and two turbo snails. The water was tested at the LFS the day I bought the percs. He said ph was perfect nitrites or nitrates cant remember which were a little high but were ok (it was yellow in the test kit I believe if that helps) The first two I bought I never saw them eat the whole week I was home. I was feeding flake twice a day. They swam all over the tank. one died my wife bought two more.All three hid under the rocks. We accidently killed the biggest. now the other two hide under the rock. The original leftover comes out only to eat (brine shrimp only) the other all I ever see is the tail sticking out from the rock. If it wasnt moving I would think it was dead.

zeuserman1@aol.com
05/15/2001, 08:11 PM
We have 3 clowns in the tank. (2 percs and 1 I believe is a member of the perc family, bright orange and white with the same perc fins) and they do nothing but show off. Always out in the open and never going in the LR. If you look in the tank they swim to see you. Just thought I would let you know. I also have a Blue Morpho Tang, Yellow Tang, Green Goby, Mandarin Goby, Wrasse, Blue Damsel, 2 three stripe Damsels, 2 yellow tail Damsels, Fire Shrimp, 2 crabs, 1 Atlantic Carpet Anenome, and 2 Hawaiian Glow Tip Anenomes.

Scholesy
12/04/2001, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't mind if my 2 percs had a rest. Always racing the length of the tank, checking out rocks, playing in currents. As soon as they see hands... oh boy! - straight up to the top of the tank. It's tiring watching them...... and I wanted the tank to be relaxing!

fishymissy
12/07/2001, 11:34 PM
There is something drastically wrong with your tank. Do not buy any more fish until you find out what is wrong with your tank. It would be very helpful if you bought some test kits yourself or if you would take a piece of paper with you to the LFS and write down the actual readings. Having perfect ph doesn't say much. Having a yellow color for nitrites or nitrates doesn't help at all. Make sure that you have the LFS test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph, and alkalinity and write the results down.
I hope you understand that it is hard to help if you don't have any information!