PDA

View Full Version : lighting for a frag tank

Sid
01/27/2003, 09:24 AM
i will hopefully soon be setting up a tank just to hold frags from my main tank, i was thinking of something like a 60x36x8 inch deep tank.
i have a 2x150watt arcadia MH unit with 14k ab aqualine bulbs in it and was wondering if this will do.
i know that each bulb should only light 4 square foot at a time (2x2) but due to the shallowness of the tank can i get away with raising it off the water to covet the 5x3 area isntead of the 4x2 that it should do?

stevemc
01/28/2003, 08:51 AM
Sid, answer is yes, but, you can lift it to make it spread more light, but you will be farther from the tank and 150 halides like yours @ 14k are fairly dim compared with brighter type halides. If it were mine, I would go with 2-3 250 watt Iwasakis on MV ballasts with several VHO tubes to fill in. At the least for a prop tank. You may not get good growth out of those bulbs even if near the water(14K). You would be better off for a prop tank with industrial type halides as they would be much brighter. And fill in with some kind of bright lights around the ends and edges, so the frags dont just get light from straight above, nice even coverage. Maybe lights of America floodlights, here they are 29 dollars in Home Depot, 6500K 65 watt PC that is equal to a 500 watt incand. floodlight. Or VHO tubes. Just my opinion. Good luck. Steve.