PDA

View Full Version : L.T. Anemonie

SEA ROCK
01/31/2001, 07:06 PM
I have a long tentacled anemonie wich has grown quite large. How can I propogate this if indeed I can? Will it divide itself? Can I divide it? It is pretty COOL!!

SEA ROCK
02/03/2001, 05:42 PM
Come now people, NO REPLIES ????
Some one must have some knowledge on this subject.
PLEASE....PLEASE....

Carlos
02/04/2001, 08:10 PM
I wish I could help you! I also have a LTA which is very large but never split. I know of some people that have anemones divide in their tanks multiple times. Never happened to me.

Hopefully someone will read this thread and have some knowledge.

Keep on reefing!!!

Carlos

saltbuddy
02/15/2001, 12:58 PM
by taking a cutting of the base,foot,etc, you can propagate a close daughter of the orginal. The nice thing is the "mother" will not attack her "daughter" as she will recognize as part of herself.

anything else ?

YZ
02/23/2001, 05:18 AM
Your kidding the feet??? Does this work with all anemone's?

I thought it was some produce gamets that they let loose in the water column and other split? Is this correct?

saltbuddy
02/23/2001, 05:11 PM
hey guys, any more questions ? Searock, I tried to e-mail you but was unable.

SEA ROCK
02/25/2001, 10:19 AM
Thank you so much for the replie. I've been off the net due to computer changeover problems. I'll update my profile shortly because i have changed my IPS to MSN.
My new e-mail address is : MRGMorin@MSN.COM.
Back to the problem at hand, Do I cut a section such as a pie slice off the base of the foot or do I trim it as an arch of a circle?
Again...Thank you so much for your patience and replie!!

theanemoneman
03/01/2001, 06:28 PM
The only anemone I have heard of splitting on it's own is the bubble tip. You have GOT to check out this page with pics of a splitting anemone. Awesome! http://mailer.fsu.edu/~lleclair/info_page.html
I have a long tentacle and would LOVE to have it split. I will follow this thread to see if any good info percolates to the top. My anemone is large also. Pics at
http://members.home.net/anemoneman.
Searock, you got pics?

dlusional
03/03/2001, 01:51 PM
I have a Heteractas Magnifica (Ritteri) anemone which has been flourishing in my tank for three years. I've done lots of reading on this and other species of anemone. You cannot take a cutting off the foot! An anemone will split on its own. This is rare in a tank but it can happen. By taking a cutting you are in essence opening up the anemone to bacteria which can kill it. They are not like leather corals and connot be propagated.

Just an FYI, bubble tip anemones are more likely to split in a captive habitat out of all the anemone types.

[Edited by dlusional on 03-03-2001 at 01:10 PM]

SEA ROCK
03/05/2001, 06:43 PM
Well, it lokks like I sit and wait to see if it decides to split on it's own. I really don't want to chance killing the thing...it's to cool!!
I'm sorry to say I don't yet have a camera for my new system YET but pics will be forthcoming in the future..I hope.
Thanks again everybody for your time, Sea Rock

saltbuddy
03/06/2001, 05:53 PM
If you feed your anemone well, 1-2 times a week,you should see a good bit of growth. Couple this with 2 week water changes ( no more than 20%) and you should see your anemone start to either reproduce sexually, or by splitting (asexually ).
I have cloned my ritterii by the cuttings. The daughters are doing fine! Mom's taking over a 55 gal.