PDA

View Full Version : Those of you w/sumps....

Josh125
01/24/2003, 10:35 AM
for you nano tanks, what precautions do you take for a power failure. I am having a sump built for my 29 gallon tank. The sump is going to be 10"L 10"H 14" W. So as you might guess that won't hold any extra water in case of a power failure. Please give me some ideas.

Thanks!

|ReEFnEwB1E|
01/24/2003, 11:17 AM
Luckily, I don't have that problem since I am using the BERLIN method of Reef keeping on my 30T. When the power goes out or when I unplug my skimmer I notice that the water inside my skimmer just flows right back into the main tank and the pump in the sump has a check valve on the plumbing so water does not get sucked back into the sump from the main tank and overflow the sump. :D

If I didnt have it this way I would simply just go get a back up UPS unit and have that on standby just in case power failure happens but then again power failures here only last about 30 mins. KNOCK ON WOOD.. :D

Josh125
01/24/2003, 11:42 AM
So a check valve in the return would prevent back flow, is a check valve like a flapper valve . . meaning it only let's water go one way?

So I guess I will still have to hope the sump hold what ever water is in the overflow / intake pipe.

Any other thoughts?

|ReEFnEwB1E|
01/24/2003, 12:22 PM
Your right on the dot on the check valve! Good luck! :D

firstkill
01/24/2003, 01:40 PM
How is the water getting from the maintank to the sump? If its just an overflow.. just make sure you dont fill the sump to much with water.

~fk

Josh125
01/24/2003, 02:22 PM
The water is being supplied to the sump with a lifereef slimline overflow ( 700gph)

epon
01/24/2003, 02:36 PM
IMO - a anti-siphon hole drilled just below the water surface will be easier to maintain than a check valve. With as much crud that grows in our tanks, I feel safer with a antisiphon hole that I can visualy inspect and clean, than a check valve in the return plumbing. The one problem with the check valve I've found so far is when the pump is restarted , the air/water will shoot out the hole. I solved this problem with a rock over the hole so it shoots the back of the rock. Something could probably be made out of epoxy putty to direct the spray down if your aquascaping isnt in front of your return plumbing.

Good luck :D

Josh125
01/24/2003, 03:56 PM
Thanks Epon,

I have been talking with some local reefer buddies today and that is the general census, an anti siphon hole drilled as close to the water surface as I can get. Also, I plan to drill the hole so when the water does squirt out on restart it will pointed to go across the tank diagonally to increase the distance it will have to go before it would squirt out of the tank.

I think I will for go the valve, just one more thing for the crud to attach onto and that has to be cleaned.

Thanks!