PDA

View Full Version : HLLE

nuff2000
01/31/2001, 12:08 AM
Hey gang, just got my first tang, a sailfin, and it is doing good. eating, flashing w/tankmates. Just wanted to know what HLLE looks like in case it ever comes up.

tia
david

FMarini
01/31/2001, 11:04 AM
Hi:
well Head/laterial line erosion (HLLE) is identifible w/ indentations or pitting of areas usually behind the eyes and around the back portion of the skull.These pitting are often a clear or colorless areas-much lighter than the surrounding tissue. The lateral line can also be effected w/ a pronouced deepening of the laterial line accompanied w/ pitting as well.
After all the reading I have done, I'm stillnot sure what causes this, nor what will resolve it. I have read things like poor nutrition, poor water quality, stray current all contribute to this disease. The remedies i have read have included better quality nutrition, better water quality(I guess a very intangible thing). Some products even claim they prevent HLLE from happening.
Lastly there are fish which are known to get HLLE more readily. Emperor angels come to mind as do purple tangs, and sailfins. So maybe the nutritional aspect is warrented.
Any one else w/ ideas???? please correct me if I'm wrong.
frank

billsreef
01/31/2001, 07:24 PM
As I have healed fish with HLLE by simple dietary manipulation I am inclined to think that the primary cause is diet, with the possibility that some of the other often mentioned causes might be secondary triggers in some cases.